5: Night Falls

My eyes fluttered open and were burned by generic hi-beam bright lights. My sight was so blurred and my head was pounding. After blinking a few times, I was able to see clearly. I was in a hospital bed. I touched my head where my wound had been, feeling that my head was wrapped in gauze around the top. There were two IV's in my arm. One was a saline solution I assumed and the other was blood. I hated needles so when I saw them, I freaked out and began to try and pull them out. "Oh no, sweetheart" The nurse came in the room, placing her hand over mine, "Don't do that. You lost a lot of blood. You need to rest." I nodded, leaning back in the bed. "I'm Melissa, Scott's mom. They brought you in early this morning. Said you hit your head" I nodded once more.

"Kira just stepped out not too long ago with Scott. She asked that your parents not be called. It's against protocol but I've broken enough rules, what's one more" Melissa said. I liked her. "Where do they think I am?" I asked. "Sleeping over at Lydia's" She answered. I know my Dad was probably ecstatic that I was with a friend. I turned my head to look out the window and saw Derek sitting in a chair asleep. I hadn't even noticed him. I would've thought he'd be long gone. As Melissa was filling out my chart, she saw that I was looking over at him. "He's been here all night, since they brought you in" She said. "Seriously?" I asked. Melissa nodded, "Yeah." I couldn't believe he stayed all night. He was so cute. As I sat there, all of the memories from the previous night had come back to me.

"You should be ready for discharge in a few hours. You're belongings are right over there. You'll just need to sign these discharge papers before you leave. Take it easy. You should be on bed rest for a day or two. You're lucky. This concussion could've been a lot worst. If your stitches reopen and your wound starts bleeding again, which it shouldn't, don't hesitate to come back. Press the button if you need anything" I nodded at Melissa as she left the room. Once she left, I turned back towards the window, looking at Derek. He looked so uncomfortable in the hospital chair but he suffered through it for me.

We had literally just met. Why did it feel like we've known each other forever? I laid there looking at him for a few minutes before I saw his body shift. "You're staring" He said. "I'm admiring" I responded, "And I knew you weren't asleep." "Did you now?" Derek asked, opening his eyes and sitting forward. He uncrossed his arms and leaned on his elbows. "Yes" I nodded, "I could see your eyes moving." "You scared me last night" He said, referring to my injury. "I know. What a first meeting, huh? This'll be such a great story to tell our kids" I joked. I was one of those people who cracked jokes when things got serious or awkward. "Thanks for staying" I said sincerely. "It was no problem. I couldn't protect you before so it was the least I could do" Derek responded.

"Derek, it's not your fault that I got hurt. Seriously. I'm sure it was inevitable. I'm pretty clumsy" He laughed, "So you, Scott, Isaac, and the Twins are...?" "Werewolves" He answered. "That's what I thought. But you and Scott's eyes are different colors, why?" I asked. "Scott's an alpha. A true alpha. That's why his eyes are red" Derek said. "What's a true alpha?" I asked. "An alpha who didn't kill to get his power" He explained. "What do blue eyes mean?" I questioned. He hesitated. "It means you've taken an innocent life" Derek answered honestly. I was a little taken aback but I tried my best not to show it. I gulped before asking him my next question. "Care to elaborate?" I asked. He then explained to me that he had to kill his ex-girlfriend Paige after she rejected the werewolf bite. It was a mercy killing.

He didn't want her to suffer. "That's understandable" I said, leaning on my side. I had accidentally pressed my wound against the bed, causing me to twinge in pain. "Are you okay?" He asked. "Yeah. Just shooting pain" I said, breathing out heavily to try and release some of the pain. Derek reaches over and took my hand. I looked at our intertwined hands, wondering what had come over him. Then I saw black veins ripple down his arm and my pain began to ease up before going away completely. He let out a slight breath, leaning back in his chair. "What did you just do?" I asked, feeling a lot better. "I took away your pain" Derek answered. My head was no longer pounding, "Thank you."