14: Burned

Stiles, Kira, Scott, and I stood outside the school doors talking. Mason and Liam approached just as the Devenford Prep buses pulled up. "Isn't that your old school?" I ask Liam. "Yeah, we're playing them tonight in the game" he said. The boys got off the bus and stood, taking in the school. Liam took a deep breath then approached the boys. "Brett" he said talking to a boy with green eyes. He was quite cute. Liam extended his hand to Brett, "I just wanted to say, Have a good game". Brett looked at the hand and laughed in his face. "That's cute, Liam. Is that what they told you to say in Anger Management? Apologize and everything's fine? You demolished Coach's car" Brett said. "I paid for it" Liam retorted.

"Yeah, you're going to pay for it. We're gonna break you in half out there. And it's gonna be all your fault" Brett said. Liam pressed his nails into his hand so hard that blood started to drip. Scott, Stiles, and I immediately ran up to Liam. Stiles and I stood in front of Liam while Scott looked at his hand. "Hey, what's going on prep students? Welcome to our little public high school. How you doing? That's a firm handshake you got there. Uh, we're very excited for scrimmage tonight. Uh, but Let's keep it clean, all right? No rough stuff out there. All right, see you on the field. Go" Stiles and Scott ran away with Liam. "I actually thought you were cute before you turned out to be a complete asshole" I flip my hair before walking away to the locker room.

"That car you smashed. I thought you said that it was your teacher's" I said as I walked in. "He was also my Coach. He benched me for the entire season" Liam said. "What did you do?" Scott asked. "I got a couple of red cards" Liam said. "Just a couple?" Stiles raised an eyebrow. "You gotta be honest with us. What else happened?" Scott asked. "Nothing. I got kicked out of school. They sent me to a psychologist for evaluation" He said. "What did they call it?" I asked. "Intermittent Explosive Disorder" Liam said. "I.E.D? You're literally an I.E.D? That's great. That's great. You gave powers to a walking time bomb" Stiles ran a hand through his hair. "I have I.D.C.D" I say sitting down.

"What's I.D.C.D?" Liam asks. "I Don't Care Disorder" I smirk and Stiles laughs, causing Liam to roll his eyes. "Did they give you anything for it?" Scott says turning to Liam. "Risperdal. It's an antipsychotic" Liam states. "Oh, this just gets better" I say. "But I don't take it" Liam says.b"Obviously" Stiles rolls his eyes. "I can't play lacrosse on it. It makes me too tired" Liam says sitting next to me. "Okay. I think you should bail out of the game. Tell Coach your leg is still hurting" Scott said. "No, no! I can do this. Especially if you're there" Liam said. "But, Liam, it's not just about the game. We think whoever killed Demarco might be on our team" Scott said. "Who's Demarco?" I ask. "The one who brought the beer to the party. The guy who was beheaded. Remember?" Stiles said.

"We think the person who ordered the keg killed Demarco" My eyes widened, "Kai? What, you know something?" "I don't know who ordered the keg. But I do know who paid for it" I say. "Who?" Liam asked. "Garrett" I say. Later at the game, Mason and I were helping Liam get ready for the game but our eyes kept wandering over to Brett. "I don't care if he's a foot taller than me. I think I can take him" Liam said. "Yeah" I agreed while staring at Brett. "What do you think you're doing?" Liam looked at both of us. "What? Me?Agreeing with you" I said. "I'm being agreeable" Mason said.
"You think he's hot, don't you?" Liam asked.
Mason and I both shook our heads before Liam gave us a look and we nodded. "Maybe a little" I said. "He wants to destroy me" Liam said.

"I think you could definitely take him" Mason said. "And then give him to me" I said. "Or me" Mason shrugged. Liam chuckled lightly. The game began as I joined Lydia and the sheriff on the bleachers. Brett and Liam collided causing them both to go down. I hopped of the bleachers and ran onto the field despite coach's protests. Liam's arm was dislocated. "Liam, are you ok?" I asked. "It's just my arm" He said. "How hard did you hit him?" I ask. "I didn't. He hit me" Liam said. As Scott reset Liam's arm, I went over to Brett. "Brett, are you okay?" His reply was a groan. "Guess that's a no" I said under my breath. "All right, Brett, we're gonna pick you up now" A paramedic said as the team members picked him up and took him inside. "I talked to Coach. I'm out for the rest of the game. What are you gonna do?" Liam said. "I don't know. Something's still not right. We're missing something" Scott said.

"Guys. Lydia just broke another third of the list" Stiles ran up. "Am I on it?" Liam asks. "No. But someone else is" Stiles says. "Brett" I say before running into the school, through the hallways, and into the locker room. I took out my Katana and walked in. The paramedic was unconscious and on the floor. A few feet away from him was Brett. I kneeled next to him and shook him. "Brett?" I asked. He opened his eyes then they widened. "Behind you" he choked out. It was too late. Somebody put a thermal wire around my throat, trying to cut my head off. I looked over in the mirror and saw it was Violet. My hand went up around her throat trying to choke her so she'd let me go. I don't know how but my hands burned her neck. She let go of the wire, allowing me to drop to the ground.

I turned and looked at Violet. There were burn marks on her neck. She reached for the wire but I jumped up and grabbed her by the throat. I threw her down, rendering her unconscious. I walked over to Brett and pulled his head on to my lap. "Are you ok?" I asked. "For right now" he said. "Garrett cut you with the poisonous Wolfsbane. Then Violet was going to cut your head off" I say. "Well you saved me. I guess you are pretty badass" he joked but then his face turned to pain. "Stay with me. Scott's coming" I said. Scott walked in a minute or two later and looked at all of us. "We need to get him out of here, but first you have to get the sheriff" I said and he nodded, running out. "Scott's going to save you. He saves everyone." I looked down at Brett and his eyes were no longer open. He wasn't moving either.

"Brett!"