2

A week later the Hogwart's train whistle blew and I stared out of the window on the opposite side of the compartments, waving goodbye to my parents. My mother had one hand over her mouth, tear-filled eyes, while the other hand waved. My father was smiling, one arm wrapped around my mothers shoulders, and the other, also, waving goodbye to me.

I waved goodbye back - with much more eagerness and less like a zombie - and pushed myself away from the window when the train began to move. It wasn't much long after that did I feel completely...lost? Even though it was a train and it was highly unlikely that anyone would get lost on a train, but it was just the feeling.

I moved on down the corridor, staring into the compartments as I walked. Many of them were full or already occupied. Blank faces stared back at me most of the time, and I blinked right back. It was usually easy for me to make friends, but the faces that stared at me as I walked told me they didn't want any more friends than they already had. And then I spotted a compartment that -

"Oof!"

Stumbling back slightly, I glanced up at the solid back I had collided with and winced. My eyes trailed up and stopped at the incredibly blonde hair that looked awfully familiar...

My face fell when I heard the growl and the boy slowly turned around, a sneer on his face.

"Watch where you're - !"

Draco, the boy I'd met at the carnival not too long ago, blinked before me and his sneer fell as recognition took over. I exhaled in relief as I stared at a familiar face and I smiled.

"Oh..." he trailed off, his eyes looking right into mine, making me slightly uncomfortable. "Emma."

"Hi...er...well," I stammered, shifting from foot to foot. "This is awkward. Hi."

As soon as I heard whimpers, my eyes fell to behind Draco, and I watched as two little boys ran out of the compartment he was standing in front of. And then a chubby boy poked his head out of the door.

"Come on, Draco, it's empty. "

The boy then looked to me and sneered. He looked between Draco and I and began to crack his knuckles when he stared back at me. I frowned.

Draco faced me and I jumped when that sneer of his was back - not once did he even blink.

"Um... I was just... I was wondering if you could tell me where to go when the train stops, " I said awkwardly, looking around at the train floor.

The chubby boy laughed loudly and said, "come on, Draco," and then disappeared back inside the compartment.

"Forget it." I turned back to the compartment that caught my eye before, when a hand grabbed my upper arm and I looked over my shoulder.

"Meet me on the platform when the train stops," Draco murmured before releasing me and disappearing inside his own compartment.

I nodded even though he couldn't see me, and walked to the compartment next to the one he was in. I slid the door open and the little boy sitting inside jerked his head up at the sound and stared with curiosity. I waved.

"Hi. Mind if I sit here?" I gestured to the seat across from him.

He shook his head and I smiled, shutting the door and sitting across from him. As soon as I sat down I noticed he had been crying.

"Are you all right?" I asked, concerned.

He nodded solemnly and stared down at his lip. "I'm just...scared sort of. I don't know anything about Hogwarts."

"Ah," I smiled, knowing absolutely what that was like. "I take it you're a muggleborn and this is your first year at Hogwarts. Don't worry. This is my first year, as well."