25

Birds fluttering above, the sound of the waves crashing against the building, the sun shining down through the windows, it seemed it was going to be a nice day despite the few showers. Emma was up early, having trouble deciding on what to wear. She had no help as she wasn't exactly on good terms with the other girls and it was hard to speak to Sabrina now, so she was on her own.

She didn't want to overdress and give Draco the impression that she was more than interested in him, yet she didn't want to make it seem like she didn't even try...

Emma decided on a thin, dark purple jumper and a pair of dark jeans. The front of her hair was pinned back to keep from flying in her face, while the rest of it hung warmly over her shoulders. She slung a simple bag over her shoulder just in case, and put the vial, her wand, and her money inside.

"Hey, Seth," she greeted as she passed, the small Hufflepuff grinning and waving at her as she'd done so. It appeared he was also on his way to the Great Hall but was too busy being stuck in awe at sight of Fred and George's jokes and pranks which they were advertising to the first-years.

Fred and George made no movement that they'd known Emma was even there or had spoken.

Hot pancakes was the first she could smell before entering the Great Hall, and the sound of soft chatter and spoons hitting bowls. Draco wasn't down in the Great Hall, which she was slightly relaxed at, and sat on her own. Blaise nodded as his greet from down the row of seats, Theodore Nott deep in conversation with him.

"I hear it is your date with Draco today," said a stiff voice from in front of Emma, and she had just noticed Pansy tuck herself in beside Astoria.

Something Emma didn't quite understand was why Pansy hated her instead of Astoria, or Astoria as well. If she'd feared Emma was trying to steal Draco from her, yet she wasn't even trying to and seemed remotely uninterested in him, then Astoria should have been more than hated by Pansy. How had they gotten along knowing that the other wanted him?

"Yeah," Emma responded uncomfortably, uneasily awaiting Pansy's reaction, but all that came was Pansy shifting awkwardly in her seat with her nose in the air and her eyes focused on the food in front of her.

"Well," she coughed, her fierce brown orbs flickering up into Emma's worried blue ones, she spoke more confidently with a hint of fake joy, "I hope the two of you have great fun and find that you enjoy each others company."

For the next few minutes, it was silent, none of the girls conversing - Pansy and Astoria didn't even speak to each other, only ate their food and occasionally looked at Emma with a slight leer. Draco came down ten minutes before breakfast ended, wearing a black, button up, long-sleeved shirt and jeans, and it seemed he tried combing his hair but failed as it looked as though he had ran his hand through it and messed it up to try and make it look OK again.

  Filch gave them his approval and they decided against taking the carriage - it was really entirely Draco's decision as he had pulled Emma away from the carriage, reminding her of the Thestral - and they tread down past the Quidditch pitch. Emma wasn't at all worried about not knowing what to say as Draco would be the one to break the silence with such ease since he was quite talkative, but it was a damn shame that he wasn't very thoughtful.

"What is this?" Draco suddenly said, switching the topic from playing Seeker to grabbing her hand and examining the ring on her finger.