11

Draco had grown quite annoyingly and unnecessarily obsessive over Emma the next few days. He'd act out like he and Emma had known each other since they were in a crib. He'd force her, or in other words guilt trip her, into holding his hand. He'd dangle his arm over her shoulder at unexpected times, sit beside her in every class, compliment her appearence every five minutes - even louder whenever Harry was nearby - and constantly ask to kiss her. But according to Emma it was more like he begged.

It appeared, though, that 90% of the Slytherin girls had a thing for Draco. Emma could understand that though since he was so handsome, but that didn't mean they had to go ahead and glare at her or whisper to each other whenever she walked by. She practically despised by all of the girls in her own house. Sabrina, Daphne and Pansy still liked her. Well, Pansy occasionally liked her. Sabrina told Emma that Pansy had always been in love with Draco so it was understandable why she had trouble getting along with Emma.

"But - it's not like I want him to like me so much!" Emma cried when the topic was brought up. They were in the Slytherin common room, and Pansy was not too far away, sitting beside Draco with Crabbe and Goyle on the other recliners. "I just want to be friends."

"I know that, and I'm sure deep down Pansy knows that too. But you've got to see it from her perspective. Imagine you being in love with someone for many years just waiting for that person to finally notice you in the way you notice them. And it turns out that a new girl has come along and he's suddenly all into her. As though this girl has taken your place and he's known her for years. I'm sure you'd be pretty hurt and you'd find it tough to get along with her, even if she isn't interested in him this way. It would most likely feel like a competition. Well, Pansy feels like it's competition."

And, alas, Emma could finally see where Sabrina was coming from. But, still, Emma was sure she wouldn't hate this girl if it weren't her fault. She would simply move on; it was clear Draco was not interested in Pansy the way she was interested in him.

"She told you that?" Emma's voice wavered. She didn't want someone thinking they had some competition in her and she didn't want anyone thinking that she thought she was better than them. Unless, of course, she was doing it deliberately.

"Yep. But, don't worry. I'm sure she'll see past it soon."

"Has she told him the way she feels?"

"I suspect she's tried giving him these hints. She's been doing it since third year but Draco's pathetic, as you can tell."

Emma followed Sabrina's eye and seen Draco with the ends of two quills poking out of his nose. She couldn't help but laugh. Draco was imitating Hermione Granger's enormous teeth.

"Anyway..." Sabrina continued. "I'm worried about you."

Emma frowned. Unless, of course, Sabrina was worried about what Draco might do if he was alone with her...but Emma knew better. Draco wasn't that type of boy. He had in fact offered to walk her home that night at the carnival because he was worried about her.

"Worried about me? Why on earth would you be worried about me?"

"You're failing potions!"

Emma scoffed and crossed her arms, raising an eyebrow at the taller girl. "I most certainly am not failing potions. My grade every time is Acceptable."

"Unless you're Crabbe or Goyle, an 'A' is a 'D.' Dreadful."

Emma sighed, figuring that Sabrina was right. Everyone else in her house was passing, apart from Crabbe and Goyle who were no smarter than coconuts, and she was the only one Snape was giving an 'A' to. She didn't understand why, though. She put effort into her potions each week and had even managed to get the potion to look better than Sabrinas, who always received an Outstanding, but still always received a simple Acceptable. Why was this teacher always giving her the cold shoulder?