20

Before leaving for the kitchen, Emma quickly scribbled a note for her parents letting them know where she was staying, and borrowed Harry's owl to deliver it.

Hearts jamming into their chests, Emma and Harry descended the stairs and walked over toward the kitchen where Sirius was sitting with Mrs. Weasley, Tonks and Moody. The Weasley children must have been in their bedrooms. It seemed Sirius had been in a much more joyful mood ever since finding out that The Weasley's, Emma, Harry and Hermione were spending Christmas with him. If anyone had met him for the first time without any knowledge of his accused actions, they'd never have thought he was a mass murderer. Just look at that happy face...

Harry rapped on the wall beside the door, which was already opened, to make his and Emma's presence known. Moody and Tonks were just leaving. 

"Sirius?" Harry said, obviously trying to sound less urgent than the situation really was. Emma pursed her lips from beside him, holding her arms behind her back. As she thought more of not being told about who she really was, the more angrier and demanding she could see herself becoming...

"What is it, Harry, dear?" said Mrs. Weasley worriedly. 

"I was just - we were just wondering if we could have a quick word with Sirius," Harry said anxiously. 

"Alone," Emma added politely. 

Smiling understandingly, Mrs. Weasley walked out of the kitchen and moved toward the stairs. Sirius stood from his seat, looking confusedly between the two who were staring quite fiercely at the older man. 

"Oh, no, Sirius," said Emma quickly, pulling out a seat to drop herself into, "you might want to sit back down."

Puzzled, Sirius slowly sat back down at the table, opposite Harry and Emma. 

"Is it true?" said Harry quietly, holding his red leather album on his lap, his fingers drumming against it nervously. 

"Is what true?"

"Harry and I, is it true we're twins?" Emma blurted, her eyes quite demanding. She was already able to feel the anger rising from the depths of her throat, and she wanted to let out an unbelievably loud scream. When Sirius was quiet, clearly in shock that Emma and Harry had found out, Emma spoke more angrily. "Is it true?" she growled. "Tell us the truth."

"Yes, yes it's true," Sirius said in a sad manner, lowering his eyes for a moment, as though ashamed of what the twins would think of him. 

Harry and Emma shared a worried glance. 

"How did you two find out?"

"Fred and George's Extendible Ears," Harry admitted, and he let Sirius in on what the Weasley children, himself and Emma used them for at St. Mungo's. He left the part of Voldemort possessing him out of it for now, and it was obvious he wanted to talk privately about it at a different time.

Sirius sighed, leaning back against the chair and rubbing his mouth thoughtfully. "I never wanted the two of you to have to find out in such a way." 

"Just tell us something," Emma pleaded, making Sirius look up at her. "Why were Harry and I separated? Why couldn't we stay together?"

"The answer to that is a long one," said Sirius, his eyes softening from the desperation on Emma and Harry's faces. "And I'm positive that it's not my story to tell, Dumbledore will want to explain a few things. I suppose we could save it for tomorrow after we all get some sleep. You're both very tired, you've had a long day. And just finding out something as big as this isn't helping either of -"