Chapter 4: Hide And Seek

* Thomas' POV *

The next day I went to school expecting something. I don't know what I was expecting but it was something...

Throughout the day I would look around as if I was searching for something...or someone.

No matter how much I searched, I just couldn't find what I was looking for until it hit me. How could I be so stupid not to realise that I was in fact looking for someone?! That someone was the girl from yesterday. The girl that haunted all of my thoughts and imagination- Alice.

As soon as I realised I was looking for her, I also noticed that I had walked near every tree, every art class and even the place where we had bumped into each other.

Why was I doing this? Why was it that when I didn't see her face...I was disappointed? It actually felt like all of my hopes were shattered. But why would I get my hopes up? Why was I so intent on seeing her face? I had never felt anything remotely close to that  before...never wanted to see someone so badly. It was as if I needed to see her. Just to get a glance of her would fill me with reassurance. Reassurance that I would see her again.

Her blonde hair was no where to be seen all day and I knew for a fact that she was in my English class with Mr Roberts, but still, she wasn't there. It was as if we were playing hide and seek- I would constantly look for her but I just couldn't find her...

The game had put me in a terrible mood and every time I tried to forget about it, the thought would slowly creep back into my head. Why was Alice not in school? Especially when we had our last test coming up so surely she wouldn't want to miss that, right? Well, to be fair I wouldn't care but she might.

Why?

The next few days went on the same way as this. I would wake up determined not to think about her, but then I would suddenly realise I was thinking about her at that very moment. Then, I would go to school and get my hopes up every time for her not to show up. This was becoming a pattern that I wished wouldn't continue but I couldn't help it.

One night I went home in a very agitated mood. However, it had been what felt like ages, even though it was only days, without lashing out.

Although, that meant I had to get out of the house before anyone did anything to make me act rash...

"Thomas Thomas Thomas!"

Speaking of things that would make me act rash...the twins were running up to me.

"What what what?"

"We were playing with our bouncy ball but it went too high."

"Yeh, way too high!"

"And then it went on the roof!"

"So?"

"We need you to get it!"

"Why can't you get someone else?"

"Thomas!"

"Thomas!"

They're irritating voices kept repeating my name till I couldn't take it any longer.

"Okay okay! I'll go get the stupid ball."

"Yey!"

"Woo!"

I rolled my eyes at them then got tugged outside. We all looked up at the roof and I could see the ball in the gutter.