Chapter 39: Doomed Love

* Thomas' POV *

Round the corner, there was an old looking mattress on the creaking floors and Alice's bag filled with her clothes.

"I have no idea how we're gonna sleep or anything but I guess we'll just have to make do."

"Why can't we go to a hotel or something?" Penny moaned.

"They will be able to trace us. However, even if they came here, they wouldn't find this place."

"To be fair though Alice, Thomas found this place in no time." Everyone shifted awkwardly and scratched their necks.

"That's because he knew where to look."

I turned my head down to look at her and she looked back up at me. Her blue eyes were something I had missed during the small, awful time we were apart. My hands went up to her cheeks and she placed her on top of them. Our foreheads touched as we shared a quiet moment in each other's presence.

"Sorry to ruin your moment here but when do we start training?"

We both sighed as we turned back to face the group.

"Well first, you'll have to learn basic attack and defence, then we'll go onto the harder stuff."

"And after that?"

"You'll learn how to shoot a gun properly."

There was a pause before anyone opened their mouthes.

"Will we need to use guns...you know...when we have to go after them?"

"Without a doubt."

"O-okay."

"This is the time to back out."

"What?"

"You can all die and it would be because of me."

"Alice don't say that."

"It's true."

"Look, we aren't going to let anyone hurt you. We all care about you so much."

"...I know...and that'll be the death of you."

"Well if we train right, we might not get hurt."

"We better start now then."

Alice took my hand and pulled us back around the corner and to the middle of the room. Then, she brought some of the dummies and mats forward. After that, the lessons begun. Everyone practised their punches and kicks before Alice and I showed them defence. By the end of the day, the girls were on the floor having a rest and the guys were talking about how hungry they were.

"Ugh...need...food...so...bad."

"...dude...I totally...know how you...feel."

"Guys, will you please just deal with it?"

"Thomas...how the hell...are you not so hungry...you think your going to...die?"

I rolled my eyes at them as Alice started to speak.

"I have a supply of food but we'll have to ration it. I know this isn't exactly what you all expected but that's just the way it is."

Luke and Zack's eyes widened and they straightened their backs.

"You have food?!"

"Let's eat!"

"Please!"

"Like, right now!"

"Okay okay." She raised her hands up in the air to surrender. Then, she started climbing up the ladder and opened up the door we had climbed through.