The night before

I tried to get a good sleep before I set out, but I couldn't. My head was just swarming with the fact that I might actually be able to see my father again. After 5 years, I would see him.

Eventually, when I did get to sleep, I started dreaming about that last time I saw him.

We were all sat around the table, balloons tied onto each of the 8 chairs. Each one was occupied. One by my nan. One by my grand dad. One by my aunt Slyvie. One by my uncle Bob. One by my mum. One by my dad. One by my best friend. And one by me. Jimmy was sat next to me in his high chair. He was only one at the time. I remembered this moment. It was my fifth birthday. And to me this was a special birthday. It was the one before all the sun flares destroyed the earth. The one before all the chaos which led to the leaking of a man made disease which became know as the Flare. This was one of my only happy memories left.

The thought woke me up. I looked over to Jimmy. He was still asleep. I didn't want to disturb him so I went back to sleep and had another dream.

I was standing by the door. Tears were rolling down my eyes. My dad was kneeling on the floor in front of me telling me that he would see me again soon. That he wouldn't be gone long.

I remember that I believed him at the time. But know I knew it was all a big lie. I hadn't seen him in ten years. But I was about to. I didn't rely know what I was going to feel when I saw him but one things was for certain. I wasn't going back to sleep.