The first night

We carried on walking for another couple of hours before we stopped and set up camp for the night. The number of people in our group had fallen since some had died in the thunder storm. 7 altogether. I didn't know any of their names.

I started to put up the tent that Jimmy and I would be sharing, when Thomas came over.
"Hey Maya."
"Hey Thomas. How's it going?" I asked this question with caution because I knew that it hadn't exactly been going the best so far. His answer reflected this thought of mine.
"Umm. It's been better."
"Tell me about it. I know life in the city seems better that this but trust me, it's not that different to being in out here."
"Well life out here is very different to being in the Maze," Thomas said whilst staring off into the distance. I guess he was thinking about that place.

After Thomas first told me about the Maze I had often wondered what it was like. I wanted to ask him, but I thought it would bring back too many emotional memories for him, if he had any.

We sat there in silence, not knowing what to say. It was kinda awkward. But then this awkwardness was broken by a boy that I didn't know the name of. He was tall with short black curly hair that say neatly on top of his head, despite what had just happened. He looked over at me and smiled before introducing himself.
"Hi. My name's Frypan. I'm the cook."
"Nice to meet you Frypan. I'm Maya."
We shook hands and then he turned to Thomas.
"Do you wanna round everybody up? Food's ready."

Thank god. I was absolutely starving. Thomas rounded everybody up and we all sat around the campfire eating our food. It reminded me of a camping trip I had gone on when I was at school. Apart from the fact that I wasn't with any of my friends, the first night turned out to be very similar to that camping trip. Well it seemed similar. I tried to remember all that I could about that trip, but I couldn't. I wasn't going to dwell on it so I got Jimmy and we went into the tent where we both fell asleep instantly.