1.0 - Payton POV

I dropped my half eaten toast onto the floor of my small apartment, startled by the sound of three loud knocks on my door. I muttered profanities under my breath as I realized I had totally forgotten about the room mate interview I was conducting today. Thank god I had already gotten dressed and cleaned the apartment a bit this morning. I stood up off of the couch and grabbed the toast off the floor, tossing it in the trashcan on the way to the door. I unlocked and opened the door, running a hand through my hair as I met the eyes of the girl standing in the hallway.

"Hi," the girl said, an Australian accent heavy in her voice. "I'm Ruby, here for the room mate interview? This is the apartment, right?" She was wearing a black and silver snap back that rested on a head of short, dark hair. A loose fitting tank top rested on her defined collar bones, a pair of ripped jeans covering her legs. A small, confused smirk played across her lips, her sharp jawline casting a shadow over her neck.

"Uh, yeah, you're in the right place," I started, smiling and opening the door wider. "I'm Payton, please come in." I stepped away from the opening, allowing Ruby to walk through the doorway. "Sorry about the mess, I was up really late playing Fifa and totally forgot you were coming over," I continued, gesturing at the cluttered mess that was my apartment.

"Oh don't even worry about it, the last place I was at was at least half this size, it was a literal shit hole," she exclaimed before clapping a hand over her mouth. "Sorry, do you care if I cuss? Bad habit," She trailed, chuckling a little.

"No, it's totally fine, I cuss a lot too," I nervously laughed. We stood there for a moment, awkwardly staring around the apartment before I remembered why there was a hot, mostly-stranger in my house. "Right, I'll show you around the apartment and then we can talk about specific stuff," I chattered, starting off down the short hallway.

"Well you already saw the kitchen and the living room," I said rather loudly, making sure Ruby could hear me. "And this will be our bedroom, we'll have to share," I said apologetically.

"That's totally fine, like I said, this place is already a hell of a lot better than my last place," she laughed. I giggled along with her as I gave her the rest of the tour which consisted of a bathroom and a large closet. Ruby seemed to be really into the apartment, which was great because I really, really needed a room mate. Still, a shred of anxiety remained as I knew I still had to ask the question which had broken the deal with my last two potential room mates.

"Alright, well that's about it," I said, letting out a sigh. "Just have a seat on the couch or whatever, and we can talk specifics," I suggested.

"Yeah that sounds great, I'm really liking this place," Ruby exclaimed as she plopped down on the couch. I smiled, my anxiety growing. I sat down lightly next to her, clearing my throat.

"I'm really glad you like it, but there's kinda something we need to get out of the way before we talk about anything else," I rushed, glancing at Ruby's face.

"Uh, yeah go ahead," she said, obviously confused at my sudden seriousness.

"Uh, ok, here it goes, are you homophobic?" I said quickly, cringing at how abrupt I was. Ruby paused for a moment before smiling and bursting into a fit of giggles. I looked at her in confusion, my cheeks heating up.

"Oh, my god," she laughed, meeting my eyes. "Sorry about that, and to answer your question, no, I am most certainly not homophobic. That would be a bit ironic considering that I identify as pansexual."

"Thank god, sorry that was so abrupt, it's just that the last four people I've interviewed flipped the fuck out when I told them I was a lesbian,"I chuckled. Ruby was perfect. For the next hour we talked about rent and college among other things. By the end of the meeting, we had set a date for Ruby to officially move in next week.

"Oh," I exclaimed, a sudden realization coming to me. "How do you pronounce your last name?"

"Langenheim, she said, taking off her hat and running a hand through her short dark hair. For a brief moment, I imagined how it would feel to have my fingers tangled in her hair, leaning in to kiss her. I immediately mentally punched myself as I recalled why I needed a room mate in the first place. I banned all unprofessional thoughts of Ruby from my head and stood up from the couch.

"Do you want something to drink?" I asked, shuffling into the kitchen.

"Actually, I'm really in the mood for a latte," she said, following me into the kitchen, my heart fluttering a bit in my chest. "There's a place a couple blocks away."

"I don't know... I have a lot of cleaning to do around here," I said, running my hand over the counter top.

"Oh come on, I'll buy and I'll invite my boyfriend Justin so you can meet him," Ruby said, pouting slightly. "And we should really get to know each other more before I move in."

My heart sunk in my chest a bit as she mentioned her boyfriend, but I reminded myself that all I felt towards Ruby was a professional relationship and a teeny tiny physical attraction. Nothing so extreme that I would get jealous over a boyfriend.

"Alright I'll go, I need to get out anyway," I replied, smiling. This could be ok.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

I know this chapter is boring af and it ended really abruptly but IM FINALLY TYPING SO YAY

im so excited, hope all 0 readers I have are too!

yay

-Max