1.9 - Payton POV

"I'm sor-" Ruby said quietly, her knees curled up against her chest on the end of the couch.

"Dont apologize," I interjected from the kitchen, squeezing out the last of the burning tea bag into the second mug I had poured. After a while of sitting silently on the floor of the office in Carter's house I decided we would be more comfortable back at the apartment.

We both still had our dresses on, but our makeup and hair was smudged and our shoes were discarded randomly around the room. We looked like senior prom tragedies, and it was amazingly entertaining.

"So," I started, handing Ruby her steaming mug of black tea before slowly sinking down on the opposite end of the couch. "Wanna tell me what's going on?"

Ruby sighed, avoiding my eyes and picking absentmindedly at her toes. I waited patiently as she gathered her thoughts, her eyebrows furrowed together. "I don't know..." she said quietly, looking up to meet my eyes sadly. "sorry for pulling that shit on you."

"Don't apologize," I said again.

"I don't know what to say... I don't know how to start," she said exasperatedly.

"ok well, um, why did you pull me upstairs?" I asked awkwardly, trying to start some kind of a conversation. Her face immediately reddened, a shy smile tugging at the corners of her mouth.

"I figure you can guess that one for yourself Pay," she said, lifting her eyes up to meet mine and smirking slightly.

"yeah, I think I can," I agreed, subconsciously tugging at my lower lip with my teeth. "Well then, assuming we're on the same page about what was supposed to happen, why were you crying?" I asked, watching Ruby's grin falter into a serious frown.

"I, uh, I'm not exactly sure," she said doubtfully. I waited for her to continue silently. "everything this past week... it just feels like it's all been falling apart. Everything that happened with Justin and then that asswipe Zayn and I just thought that maybe if I did something with you I'd make myself feel better, and I don't know," she huffed, wiping her hand under her eye quickly to get rid of a hot tear that had fallen onto her cheek. "I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize, please. I know how hard it is to be rejected for coming out, my family basically resents me for it," I said softly, the memory of the disgust on their faces sending a pang of sadness through my chest. I crawled over to Ruby, embracing her in an awkward hug as she loudly choked back a sob. It broke my heart in a way, knowing the pain she was going through. I wanted to reassure her, but I knew from experience that there wasn't really anything I could say to make her feel better right now.

"For the record," she sniffled, taking a deep breath. "If I wasn't so fucked up I would totally have kissed you more."

I felt heat flowing into my cheeks, and I leaned down to press my lips to her forehead. "You don't have to say stuff like that. What happened, happened."

"I haven't known you for very long... Are you comfortable with how fast things are going? I mean, even if it doesn't mean anything, I still wanna make sure you're comfortable with everything," she said, tilting her head back to meet my eyes, her sharp jawline catching my eye.

I felt my breath catch in my throat, before I coughed slightly and said: "no, I uh, I'm totally fine with everything that's happened, as long as you are." She nodded and turned her head back, and I let out an involuntary sigh. I guess I was subconsciously hoping she was going to lean up and kiss me.

As if she could read my thoughts, Ruby turned her head back and pressed her lips against mine, one hand lightly resting on the joint between my neck and my shoulder. It was over as quickly as it had happened, she pulled away and met my eyes.

"Was that ok?" She asked, pulling her lip between her teeth. I nodded breathlessly, the innocent look in her eyes sending a chill up my spine.

"That was more than ok."

----------------------------------------------Helloooo
I hope you liked this chapter regardless of the fact that I haven't updated in like 50 years.

Maybe some smut next chapter? yes?

ok later days,
Max

EDIT- 2k GUYS OMG I LOVE ALL OF YOU
-Max