Chapter 1

10 years ago

"But I don't want to go to," Carter protested as his mother dragged him along, holding his hand firmly in her own.

It was a bright, warm midsummer day. Not a single drop of rain had fallen within weeks and weather forecasters had claimed this month to be the driest month in years.

Seagulls were squawking loudly in the air, flying in circles above the crowded shore, closely eyeing all the commotion and preying on food that might accidentally get dropped to the ground.

"Carter," his mother sighed and continued to pull him along. "It will be fun. We don't have to stay all that long. It's not everyday that the Livingstons host a barbeque, let alone on the beach. This is a good opportunity for you to make new friends."

"They host it every year. I can go next year," Carter continued protesting as he walked along. He'd much rather stay at home in his room to watch television or to play with his new electronic toy car.

"Carter, we are going." Her voice was stern, warning Carter that any more objections to their outing would not be tolerated.

He knew that there wasn't any use in arguing with his mother any further. She was scary when she got strict with him. By now he was able to read all the signs of her being angry; the firm grip in her hand as it held his own, the stern voice she would use when speaking, but especially the piercing gaze her eyes would have when looking at him.

With a pouting mouth, he walked along with his mother and could already see the seashore approaching.

From a distance, Carter could see all the neighbours had gathered at what appeared to be a party tent with tables filled with all sorts of beverages Carter was too young to drink. Or so his mother told him whenever he wanted to take a sip from her glass.

Once arrived, Carter's mother greeted all the neighbours, at first keeping Carter closely next to her, but soon enough let go of his hand and he immediately retreated.

Adults still scared him.

He watched as his mother mingled with all sorts of people he barely knew and he found himself being left behind right outside the crowd of people with unfamiliar faces. Folding his arms, he kicked away some of the sand, just wishing he could run home. Though he knew his mother would get angry if he did.

He decided to just go to play in the sand until his mother would come and pick him up to leave. Since it was rather warm, he kicked his shoes off, feeling the warm sand underneath his feet and between his toes as he walked away from the tent.

As he was walking, kicking the sand away in front of him with each step, he heard a sound coming from beside him.

"Psst!" he heard.

Carter turned to where the sound came from. As he looked to his side, his brown eyes met with two blue ones. They belonged to a boy. A boy with tousled, blonde hair which fell in messy waves over his forehead.

He waved his pale hand back and forth, motioning for Carter to come up to him. He was hiding between the ammophila plants that connected the beach with the dunes, which would always serve as some sort of border between the shore and the dunes.

Carter gave a quick glance at the adults behind him who were too busy filling their stomachs with the drinks he was still too young to drink, before he rushed over to the boy. He appeared to be around his age and Carter sat down next to him behind the swaying plant.

"Do you want to see something cool?" the boy said in nearly a whisper.

Carter nodded his head in response. "Sure."