Chapter 14

6 years ago

4 weeks before

The dunes were quieter and sometimes even cozier than the beach. If Carter and his friends wanted to be alone, without being bothered by the other people visiting the beach, they'd always sit in the dunes between the plants which peacefully swayed in the wind.

Carter had been absent minded ever since his parents delivered the news that they were going to move to Minnesota when his school year. He looked at Josh who was laughing about something Paxton had said and he almost had the urge to cry again. He thought back of the time that he had promised Josh he'd never leave him, and now knowing that he had no other choice, he felt so awful about it. He knew he'd hurt him as soon as he broke down the news. He didn't want to hurt Josh. He didn't ever want to hurt him. He wanted him to smile that beautiful, playful smile of his and to be careless and happy. But he knew he had to tell him. He had to tell everyone.

"Carter... Carter?" He was shot out of his daze by Alyssa's voice next to him. "Something wrong? You're so absent minded," she asked with a concerned voice.

Carter gave a quick glance at Josh. "I'm fine," he said, sitting up. He inhaled deeply and looked at the sand they were sitting on, drawing patterns with his finger. "Actually... there is something I need to tell you guys," he said.

It got quiet in the circle they were laying in and Carter knew he had now made the situation dramatically serious. He gave a sigh and retreated his finger. "About two weeks ago, my parents told me that my father got placed to a different office because of his promotion," he began.

"Oh right, you told us about that promotion," Chris said. "So? Does that mean you guys are going to be filthy rich now?" he asked with a small chuckle.

Carter knew he meant to be funny, but he couldn't laugh about it. "No, not exactly," he said. Sure, his father would be earning more money now, but they'd never become filthy rich. Carter cleared his throat and shifted up a little more, feeling uncomfortable talking about it, but he knew he had to. "Because of the promotion he... my father has to get transferred to an office in Minneapolis, Minnesota," he said. "In other words... We'll be transferred to Minneapolis, Minnesota."

Carter kept looking at the grass, too afraid to look up to see the faces of his friends, especially Josh's. There was silence for a moment before Chris was the first one to speak.

"You're saying, you're moving away? You're serious?!" he said.

Carter nodded his head and bit his lip. "Yeah, that's what I'm saying," he said. "After the school year is finished, I'll move to Minnesota."

"But that's next month!" Alyssa said aghast. "You're moving away next month?!"

Carter nodded his head again, his body tense. "Yeah... next month. June 14th, to be exact. They already bought a house and we're already busy packing everything up."

He slowly lifted his eyes to look at Josh. He wasn't looking back at him. Instead, he looked, wide eyed, at the small open space in the middle of the circle. Carter could tell that he was shocked, surprised and he could also see a hint of sadness mixed in between.

"So it's definite? You're really moving away? For good?" Melanie asked.

"I think so... There are no plans made for returning, so I'm not sure how long we're going to stay there."

"But, Minnesota is at the other side of the country! Does that mean we'll never see you again after next month?" Paxton asked.

Carter bit his lip and shook his head, feeling tears coming up. "I... I don't know. I really don't know. I'm sorry."