Chapter 38

5 months later

The warm breeze blew gently through the ammophila plants. Brown locks swayed in the wind, lids fell close and a deep breath was taken in. Fingers dug into the sand and ears captured all the sounds being produced. The swaying plants, the seagulls, all the way to the waves of the ocean hitting the shore. It were moments like these where Carter was most at ease, and felt nothing but serenity and warmth all around him.

As he opened his eyes again, he was greeted by the sight of the navy blue ocean, and the golden sand.

It felt like it had been such a long time ago that he had been there, and that was probably because it was. Ever since he had moved back, he didn't think he had ever taken the chance to sit at the beach, just perceiving everything around him. Before he had moved away, he did this on occasion.

When he heard someone approaching, the sound of the sand being crushed beneath shoes giving it away, he opened his eyes again and looked over his shoulder.

An instant smile formed his lips as his eyes met with those who were colored with the same shade of blue as the sky right above them.

"Sorry it took me so long," Josh said, sitting down next to Carter in the sand. "I got stuck in traffic."

"That's okay," Carter shrugged, still looking at Josh. Once the blond was settled down next to him, shoulders touching each other, he leaned in to give him a kiss. "How was it?" he asked. "How's he doing over there?"

"It was pretty good, actually," Josh said. "The surroundings and interior of the facility bring him at ease, he said. He told me he had a lot of time to think clearly, and he's doing much better now. His health has improved and he looks... brighter."

"That's really good to hear," Carter said, knowing how worried Josh had been during the first few months since his father had been sent away. "Are you planning on seeing him more often once he's out?"

"Maybe," Josh said with a shrug. It depends in which phase of my life I'll be when that time comes. But he'll still be in the facility for the rest of the year at the least."

Carter looked out at the ocean as he listened. A sudden sense of nostalgia suddenly overwhelming him. Josh besides him, the warm weather, the sounds and smell of the ocean, surrounded by the high grass. But then again, seen where they exactly were, only made it logical.

"This was the place, wasn't it?" Carter asked, crossing his legs. "Ten years ago, exactly. This is the place where you were hiding, and calling out to me. This is where we first met."

"...It is," Josh smiled. "I still remember it clearly, actually. I remember seeing you walking right there," he said, pointing out to the area on the beach. "I wanted to show someone that butterfly I had found while venturing into the plants. Just as I was looking around, I saw you."

Thinking about how little they were back then made Carter chuckle lightly. He hooked his arm with Josh's and rested the side of his head against his shoulder. Looking out at the beach, he could almost see him and Josh playing there in the sand together. Pretending to be pirates, treasure hunters, seeking for stranded fish at the shore, and making figurines in the sand. Two children, running freely with little to no worries on their minds, just enjoying their youth and living in the moment.

"Did we already know Alyssa back then?" Carter asked. "I mean, her parents threw that party every year, but I hadn't actually met her until Elementary school."

"I knew her," Josh responded. "When my mother was still alive, Alyssa would sometimes stay over at our house because her parents had to work."

Alyssa had always been an extroverted and bouncy girl, from what Carter could remember. All the boys had crushes on her, and all the girls were friends with her. It seemed as if there hadn't been much change to that

"Oh, by the way," Carter said, suddenly reminded of something he wanted to give Josh. He got the bag he had brought along with him, zipped it open and felt through the inside to find what he was looking for. He then got a small box out and handed it to Josh. He had made sure to keep the inside secured by moving his bag around carefully has he had made his way to this place.

Josh furrowed his eyebrows slightly and accepted the small box. "What's in it?"

"You'll see," Carter said. "And no, it's not an engagement ring. Sorry to disappoint."

Josh laughed and shook his head, his hand going to pull the ribbon off the box and once the linen had fallen to his lap, he opened the top of the box.

Inside, was a glass butterfly, colored in lilac and blue.

"You had told me that your father had smashed the first one I had given to you," Carter said when Josh stared at the butterfly. "You know that I've started working in Paul's glasswork shop, right? I saved up a bit of the money I had earned there and with a discount Paul gave me, I got you this. I'm not sure if it's the same design and color as the other one, but it looked similar enough from what I could remember."

Josh's eyes were fixated on the glass butterfly and he carefully lifted it out of the box. He held it up and the glass sparkled in the sunlight above them.

"Do you like it?" Carter asked him with a hopeful look.

Josh turned back at Carter and he was a little shocked to see that his eyes had started to water.

"I love it," he smiled, nodding his head and placing the butterfly back into the box. He wrapped his arms around Carter's waist and pulled him in for a hug.

Even though the hug was unexpected, he accepted it all too gladly and his arms were quick to hold onto Josh's neck. "Good," he said.

"Thank you," Josh mumbled against his shoulder. "For everything."