Chapter 2

9 years ago

"Found you!" Josh called out.

Carter let out a giggle and immediately rushed away when his hiding place was discovered. Josh quickly went after him and they ran in circles around the old, wooden boat. Josh had told Carter that the boat had to be placed on land for a moment because of the upcoming storm. He told how he had helped the neighbor who the boat belonged to pull the boat out of the water. It wasn't a large one; a rather small fisher's boat that was usually immune to the harsh tides of the ocean, but apparently did have to get pulled onto the shore for storms.

The grey, roaring clouds had already flooded the sky, warning for the approaching storm. They blocked the sunlight away from Port Hayland, creating a dark atmosphere above the town.

"No!" Carter laughed when he was tagged on his back.

"Don't be a sore loser," Josh said and he gave Carter a mischievous smile.

"I'm not a sore loser. You're a sore loser!" Carter tagged Josh on his chest before he ran away again, this time towards the shore.

The clouds were getting darker shaded grey and people were already retreating to their homes. Though Carter and Josh didn't notice. Their laughter filled the streets as they ran towards the docks. Like two birds flocking in the sky, ignoring all that was around them.

The tides of the sea got rougher as the speed of the wind increased and the boats attached to the docks bounced up and down along with the waves.

The sound of running feet over the wood was barely audible through the wind and Carter found himself cornered as he reached the end of one of the docks.

"Got you!" Josh called out.

It was then that a loud thunder was heard and the boys screamed in unison.

"Let's go back," Carter said, his voice hinted with fear. He hated thunder storms. The loud, sudden thunder sounds frightened him and he always hid underneath the sheets of his bed, closing his eyes and wishing for the storm to quickly blow over.

Josh grabbed Carter's hand and they started running over the docks, back towards the village.

Carter felt safer with the warmth of Josh's hand against his own as they ran back until they got to Carter's house. The rain had already started to pour down and they were soaking wet when they entered the house.

Carter's mother was shocked to see the two children completely drenched. She made them change their clothes. Josh borrowed some of Carter's.

They sat on Carter's bed, with the blanket over their heads and a flashlight between them to light up the darkness around them. Each time the roaring sound of thunder rolled by, Carter would flinch a little, though he felt a lot safer with Josh with him. He was holding his hand and squeezed each time the thunder was heard.

"Hey, Carter," Josh whispered.

"Yeah?" Carter opened his eyes again and they flickered up to meet with the blue ones of his friend.

"Do you want me to give you a safety charm?" he asked.

"What is a safety charm?"

"It's some sort of spell that protects you from all evil. When you have it, nothing can harm you. Not even the thunder," Josh said. "My mother gave it to me right here." His hand went up and placed his index finger in the center of his forehead. "Do you want me to give you the safety charm as well? Only people who have the charm can share it."