Chapter 37

Carter's eyes had long since adjusted to the darkness. His hands on Josh's chest as he listened to his heartbeat, and any other sound his body was making. The sheets covering their naked bodies enclosed the warmth around them and Carter felt content with this moment. He was tracing figures with the tip of his index finger on Josh's chest absentmindedly. He wasn't sure if Josh was asleep or not; they had been lying like this for some time now and Carter knew that if he wanted to, he could very easily fall asleep like this.

Somewhere in his mind, he wondered what time it was right now, and if his parents would return soon. Though knowing them, they could be out for hours before finally going back home.

He exhaled deeply and laid his hand flat onto Josh's torso again and relaxed against his warmth.

Josh's hand then moved and he tangled his fingers between the strands of Carter's hair. "Are you awake?"he asked.

"Mhm," Carter hummed in reply. "Did you sleep?"

"A little."

Carter looked at the arm that was in the sling, and at the collarbone what which was still broken. "Are you in pain?" he asked. "I could fetch you some of the medicine."

"I'm not in pain, don't worry," Josh said, pressing a kiss to Carter's head. "I took one of the heavier ones right before I took a shower. They work for four hours so I'm still numbed down," he said.

"Okay," Carter traced his finger over the smooth skin again. "But if you do start feeling pain, tell me."

Josh removed his hand from Carter's hair and placed it on his back, staring up at the ceiling. A vague sound of a car was heard in the distance, and for a moment, Carter thought that it might be his parents returning. The car passed the house, however, and for some reason, it relieved him. He liked being here all alone with Josh. Nobody who could interrupt them. Just the two of them, all alone in his house. It gave him a feeling of nostalgia, thinking back of all the times they had spent in his bedroom all those years ago, lying in his bed together and talking about all sorts of things.

"I'm going to tell the officers the truth," Josh said, shooting Carter out of his thoughts.

Carter sat up and looked at him, relieved, as well as surprised to hear that. "You are?" he asked. "Good. Thank you."

Josh furrowed his eyebrows a bit. "No, I should be thanking you," he said. "You saved me. I've been thinking about it, y'know, about what would've happened if you hadn't showed up. Until a moment ago, I refused to believe it, but I do think that there could have been a chance that my father would have injured me a lot more. I still don't think he actually would have killed me directly, but I suppose I can call myself lucky that I only ended up with one broken bone and stitches in my head."

Carter rested his head on Josh's chest again and closed his eyes. "I'm just really glad that you're okay now," he spoke. "I was going crazy when I was looking for you. The thought of losing you for good kept going through my mind and it was the most horrible feeling. I already lost you once. I do not want that to happen again."

Josh held onto Carter a little tighter and closed his eyes as well. "Me neither," he said softly. "We've made it pretty far together. You and I."

Carter smiled at the words. "We have, surprisingly enough."

Josh chuckled at his comment, causing Carter to softly laugh along with him.

There was a feeling of content in the silence that followed, and despite no words being spoken, Carter felt as if their bodies were telling each other more stories than words could ever form.