Chapter 7

6 years ago

"I think I can see the Great Bear," Josh said as they laid in the grass in Carter's backyard, gazing up at the unending mass of stars that lit up the night sky. He pointed up with his hand to try to show Carter but he didn't see anything that could show any sort of pattern. Only an infinite amount of stars dusting the black heaven. Though he still thought it looked absolutely breathtaking.

"Did you know you can buy stars and name them?" Carter commented, remembering how his cousin once told him about this.

"Then you should buy one and name it after me," Josh chuckled. Carter grinned and rolled his eyes at his friend.

When silence fell, the only sounds heard was the chirping of the crickets. It was the pleasant kind of silence that brought peace to Carter's mind and he felt content with this moment, wishing he could spend every single night with Josh like this, gazing up at the stars.

Carter turned his head to look at Josh, seeing the stars reflecting in his blue eyes and he noticed a slight hint of awe in his facial expression. He then looked back up at the stars and wondered if maybe he would ever buy one for Josh to name it after him.

Now

Carter and Josh walked over the dark streets of Port Hayland, the night sky being enlightened by the stars and the streets by the dim lights of the lampposts. Carter had decided to walk Josh back to his home to make sure he wouldn't do anything reckless after his fallout with Paxton. Needles to say, Carter was still rather worried about him.

He walked next to Josh and looked up at the sky, thinking back of all the times they went stargazing together in his backyard. "Hey," he said. "Remember how you always tried to point out the Great Bear to me?" he asked with a smile forming his lips.

Josh gave a quick glance at Carter before his eyes also traveled up to the stars. "I remember," he smiled. "It's actually called Ursa Major."

Carter chuckled softly. Of course, Josh knew all the details of the most unexpected things. Butterflies, stars, he always seemed to know all about them. But that was exactly what Carter always liked so much about him.

Josh cleared his throat. "I, uhm, I also remember you telling me about how you can buy stars and name them," he said. "I'd still like to do that someday."

Carter felt himself smiling at Josh's words, proving that this was the actual same Josh he had made all those happy memories with. He shoved his hands in the pockets of his jacket and gazed up at the stars as they walked. "If I were to buy a star... I'd name it after you," he spoke. "I'd name it Joshua."

His eyes went from the stars to Josh and he could see him looking back at him. He noticed the faint embarrassed expression and snickered at his reaction.

"Then..." Josh looked back in front of him and rubbed the back of his neck. "Then as revenge, I'd also buy a star and name it Carter. Carter Daniel Raymore."

"Hey, why my full name?"

"Because it sounds stupider," Josh said with a smirk before he laughed softly. Carter laughed along with him, actually really enjoying this moment. It was just like old times again. Though naming a star after the person you love, that must seem really silly.

Though when Carter started to realize they were walking closer to the shore, he furrowed his eyebrows. "Hang on a second," he said and stopped walking, "why are we walking to the docks? Your house is the other way."

Josh also stopped in his tracks and turned around to face Carter. "I don't sleep in my house during the workdays. Only during the weekends," he said. "During workdays I sleep in my boat."

Carter raised his eyebrows and continued walking next to Josh. "Your boat?! Since when do you have one?"

"When I turned eighteen, my uncle gave his old sailing boat to me because he got too old to use it. I renovated it a bit and added some things to the interior. It's not much but... I like it."

"But, why don't you sleep in your house during workdays? Are you really that desperate about not cleaning your room?" Carter joked.

Josh gave a soft huff at the comment. "Yes, that's totally it."

Josh's answer made Carter wonder if there was more to it, but he decided not to ask since he appeared to be happy right now and wanted to keep the conversation light and funny. Though walking like this with him made Carter happy. He remembered how he would always walk him home after they had spent the day together when they were younger or how they went to school together every morning. Their High School senior year was starting soon and he wondered if they'd also be going together in the mornings again.

As they reached the docks, Carter looked around and wondered which one was from Josh. He remembered how he used to to tell him and Alyssa that he was going to get his own boat someday. It was then that he realized that time really does fly.

"Here it is," Josh said as they stopped in front of one of the boats. It was a rather big sailing boat with the canvas rolled up and held down, though Carter couldn't see everything very clearly in the dark.

"It looks amazing," he said in slight awe. It was bigger than most of the boats that were tied there. "Did you sail anywhere yet?"

"Not yet, but I'm planning to, someday," Josh answered and he climbed onto the boat. Carter watched him move about and now only noticed his strong arms. Josh was clearly a lot stronger than him and better built as well. He had always thought Josh was handsome, but he looked even better now than when they were younger.

When Carter realized he was dozing off, he quickly shook himself out of his daze and looked around a bit, suddenly feeling rather awkward. "So... I'll, uhm, I'll see you around," he said, rubbing the back of his neck.

Josh looked at him before inhaling deeply and nodded his head. "Yes. I'll see you around. Goodnight..." he said before he turned around to walk to the opening in the deck.

Carter watched him for a brief moment before he turned around to walk back to his house.

"Hey, Carter," he heard Josh's voice calling out to him. Carter turned back to Josh to see what he had to say. "...I had fun today. Despite Paxton turning into an ass, I had fun," he said, giving the other a genuine grin.

Carter knew that grin. It was the same playful grin that had won Carter over so many times before. The grin that never failed to make him smile. The grin that he had missed seeing so incredibly much.

He walked back up the hill to his own house, hands shoved in his pockets and he recalled what Alyssa had told him. If Josh had really changed since he left, but is still able to smile and give such genuine happy expressions, then there still had to be hope. It meant that somewhere, deep inside, he was still the same playful and hearty person.