Chapter 8

6 years ago

10 months before

"Last one in the water is a sissy!" Chris cheered before he jumped from the dock, holding his legs against his chest as he jumped into the air and landed in the seawater with a large splash. Melanie was quick to follow but instead of jumping, she went to sit on the wood before slowly lowering herself in the water, panting at how cold the water was.

"The only sissy here is you!" Alyssa called out before she also jumped in, the water making her curly hair almost appear straight. Paxton jumped in as well right after her and immediately swam up to Chris to splash water in his face.

Carter stood with his toes over the edge of the wood but didn't jump in. He stared at the water that hit the side of the dock, splashing up slightly but just enough to make the tips of his toes wet. He was hesitant about jumping in, somehow afraid of the cold and afraid about now being able to swim back up to the surface.

He then felt a presence next to him and he looked up to meet with Josh's blue eyes, which appeared to be an even lighter blue because of the sun shining right into them. A warm hand then grabbed Carter's and Josh looked out on the sea.

"You jump, I jump," Josh quoted Titanic with a smirk on his lips.

"That's really corny," Carter sniggered and also glanced back at the water which sparkled in the sun.

"I like corny," Josh responded and gave Carter's hand a squeeze.

The squeeze in his hand gave Carter a sudden feeling within his stomach, catching himself suddenly smiling. He had noticed that lately, Josh kept making him feel like that whenever he showed affection unexpectedly.

"When I count three, we jump, alright?" Josh spoke and held Carter's hand a little tighter. The two boys looked at the gentle waves and at how their friend played in the water, splashing and swimming around with laughter filling the air.

"One..." Chris went down under and pulled Paxton down by his legs before they both came up a few seconds later, laughing contently. "Two..." Melanie made a somersault in the water and Alyssa tried to copy her movements though she didn't succeed. "Three!" Carter and Josh jumped from the dock into the air, holding each other's hand tightly, before they splashed into the water. They both swam up and Carter gasped for air before he met Josh's eyes upon opening his. Josh then squirted water from his mouth at Carter and he laughed before splashing some water at his friend.

"Happy birthday, Carter," Josh grinned happily at him.

Now

"Could you pass the salt?" Carter's father asked. Carter looked up at his father before grabbing the salt shaker and handing it to his father. He thanked him before pouring some onto his eggs. Today was saturday, and for Carter, it was the last weekend of summer vacation. He wasn't sure if he was nervous or excited for school beginning again. He was excited because he got to go to school with all his old friends again. Though he was also nervous for going to school with all his old friends again. Plus, it was his senior year and he had still no idea what he wanted to do with his life after high school.

He still wasn't even done unpacking all the boxes in his room. He had actually gotten too lazy with the last three and figured he'd unpack them some other day when he felt like it.

"How was being with your friends yesterday?" Carter's mother asked. He looked up at her at the question, not quite sure how to answer it.

"It was nice. A few mixed feeling, but overall it was nice being with everyone again. Everyone really... grew up," Carter answered.