Chapter 21

Carter tried to pay attention to what the teacher was explaining, but he kept dozing off in his thoughts and getting lost in them. Though he knew he should be paying attention since exams were nearing. Even so, he wasn't that worried about those; his grades were decent and he always had good scores on tests.

But then again, recent events have been keeping his mind off his schoolwork. If he wanted to pass his exams he'd have to find a way to concentrate on his homework better, which was going to be a hard task if this kept up.

The next class got canceled because the teacher called in sick so he now had a free period. He should probably use it to study or make homework, but instead he found himself roaming the hallway. He had never really had the opportunity to explore the building and now saw his chance.

Hayland High wasn't a very big or very special looking school, but it was quite roomy despite the rather old-fashioned looking building. He had heard that it was built somewhere in the 1950's, right after the second world war. He had looked up pictures and information online when he was still in Middle School, and was curious about the school's history and interior, but that was until he heard he was moving away.

He walked past the auditorium and remembered his talk with Alyssa, suddenly starting to feel a little bad. She really did try to make Josh happy again, and thought that she had succeeded in doing so. But in the end, she only aided to help Josh hide who he really was. Unintentionally, of course.

Carter walked outside the building and towards the sports field. There was a large football field with a row of bleachers right behind the building. It reminded him of his time in Minnesota, where he'd always sit on the bleachers during free periods to read when the weather was nice. He liked sitting up high.

As he walked closer to the bleachers, he noticed the football team was currently using the field to practice. Curiosity got the better of him and he decided to watch from the bleachers. The weather was nice and he had nothing better to do anyway. Actually, he had, but procrastination was an infamous trait of his.

He walked up the bleachers and sat down at one of the highest benches so he had a good view over the entire field without getting noticed so easily. Even though it was mid-autumn and winter was nearing, it wasn't all that cold at the moment. There was a chilly breeze but the sun rays soothed the cold away almost instantly each time the breeze occurred.

"Carter!" He then suddenly heard coming from below. He looked down to see someone from the football excitedly waving both his arms at him. He squinted his eyes a bit to see that it was Paxton, then realizing that he had told him he was on the football team. Carter waved back at him. The other then did a crazy dance before getting scolded by his coach, causing Carter to burst out laughing. He had a nice view from above and watched how they trained for an apparent upcoming match.

He occasionally checked his phone to check the time before realizing that after the hour was over, so he'd have more than enough time.

"Aren't you lonely up there?"

Carter knew whose voice voice that was, and immediately turned to where it came from. His lips curled up into a smile when he met with the blue-eyed gaze of Josh.

"Not all those who are alone are lonely," Carter replied, though he felt a lot happier with the other near him. Josh went to sit down next to him and looked out at the field. "How did you know where I was?" Carter asked him.

"Paxton pointed at you when I came. I was actually planning on waiting for him to finish with his training so we could get lunch together. It's taco day," the blond explained.

Carter suddenly felt the desire to kiss him, but stopped himself before he could lean forward. They were in public after all. Sometimes he had wondered how different and easier everything would have been if he was a girl. Nobody would tease him for wearing girly clothes, and he could openly show his affections towards Josh in public without having to worry about rejection or threats.