1)Birthday Girl

"How does it feel Mariana?" my poppa asked me full of excitement. Today was my 18th birthday, and it sure feels good. Most girls would probably be at the club or getting a tattoo, but I just wanted to spend the night with my parents..

"I feel good poppa, thank you for the cake." I blew out the row of candles and closed my eyes to make a wish. 'I wish I'll get rich.' I wished for myself , which was every wish I've ever remember making.

"Aww' your welcome honey." My momma says with her strong Hispanic accent. They both kissed me on my forehead, then poppa started to cut the cake.

I thought this was a best time than any to tell them the news. "So momma and poppa..." I waited patiently for them to answer.

"Yes mi amor." Momma answers, while poppa slid me a piece of cake.

"Mi hermosa madre y my gran padre, I have something to tell you both." They took a seat at the round table, and folded their hands.

"Si mi amor." My parents took concern.

I exhaled, "I'm ready to move out." I stuffed some cake in my mouth swallowing it harshly. "But I need money." Turning my gaze off their faces and down to my jittery fingers, I know it's been rough lately, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

"Lo siento darling, we don't have any money." My poppa exclaims "We are barely making our bills here." I looked into my fathers dark brown eyes, he had a dark complexion. From his father who was actually black, but his mother was Mexican.

They looked sincere, and I believed them. I sighed and said "I'll just work over time." I shrugged and excused myself. I'm tired of staying in the projects, taking welfare, and food stamps. We're your typical Mexicans.

I walked up the concrete steps to my bedroom slamming my body on the bed. Thinking for a second, I've been working non-stop since I was 16. 1/3 of my paycheck goes to my parents, what the hell do they do with the money is the big question. I closed my eyes and imagined a happy family, with money. A lot of fucking money.

My body eventually crashed.

5:20 A.M

*beep beep beep*

I slapped my hand on my alarm clock, groaning out of bed. Lazily I walked into the bathroom. The light fixture was blinking on and off which annoyed me even more than having to wake up. I took a quick shower, looking out of the tiny window. The projects were quiet and the window was chilly.

Finishing my womanly duties, I dressed myself with a plain black T, light denim pants, and black Tims. My hair was lifted into a high bun, and I applied moose to my edges to slick them. Grabbing my jacket, purse, and cell phone, I applied a coating of lipstick.

I'm a pretty girl, through high school black girls hated me. Some were cool, but others threw shade every chance they had. I'm glad I graduated last month, It felt good to have accomplished that. Sadly I didn't get a scholarship for anything, leaving me to still be working at Kroger.

I love it here in Nevada, It's nothing like Mexico, but it's an adjustment I just have to make. I peaked in my parents room while they lay and watch Tv with their mattress lying on the bare floor. "Bye momma and poppa." I whispered.

"Have a blessed day Mariana" Momma says. I smiled leaving the house grabbing a banana on the way out, I locked the door, and covered my nose at the repulsive smell that came from the dead dog a couple pathways over.

"Nasty fuckers." I whispered to myself. Damn thing has been just sitting there for weeks.

Peeling my banana, I strolled to my car, and drove off. I didn't have the best car it was a simple 2010 Honda. I love my little car, but the monthly car note has been kicking my butt. I also love working at Kroger's, and it's been a real blessing to have kept the same job for 2 years. Sad part about this is, I only have 200 dollars saved up, and I'm never going to getan apartment with that.