Chapter Seventeen

"Let's go," James said, getting onto his broom.

Lily followed suit, watching the curtain draw itself back. The crowd went wild as the Gryffindor Quidditch Team flew into the sunlit pitch as the announcer called them by name. James and Damien led the way as the team circled the stadium. From her broom, she caught sight of her friends, all giving her hopeful smiles. While they gave her a slight bit of confidence, her nerves still ran rampant through her body as she made her descent to the grassy pitch.

"Where's your final Chaser?" Master Lang asked when the Gryffindors had landed across from where the Ravenclaws stood in a semi-circle.

"He's ineligible for gameplay today, so we will be playing with two Chasers, Master Lang," James said, his voice stern. "We understand the disadvantages and don't wish to receive any sort of handicap."

Master Lang looked surprised, but he turned to Lily and Annie, "Are your two Chasers alright with playing with a man out?"

"Perfectly fine," Annie said, crossing her arms and looking Lily's way.

With everyone's eyes on her, Lily tried to wipe away the nerves from her face and turn her expression into one of sheer determination, "I'm fine with it. Let's play."

Master Lang narrowed his eyes at Lily before turning the Ravenclaw captain, "Are you willing to allow them to play short a player?"

The captain, a seventh year, who Lily felt some animosity toward because of his refusing Cassie a tryout, shrugged, "Easier for us to win. Like Potter said, let's play."

"Positions please," Master Lang said, blowing a whistle.

The Gryffindor Team moved into their formation. Lily stood in the front beside Annie while James stood behind them. Jake, Damien, and Bobby stood in the last row.

"Are both teams ready?" Master Lang asked.

"Ready," the Ravenclaw captain said.

"Ready," James said from behind Lily.

Master Lang knelt to the grass and unlatched the box, yelling "GO!"

The Bludgers and Snitch zoomed into the air while the Quaffle flew upward, released from the pressure of the box. Not waiting a second, Lily zoomed forward and grabbed the Quaffle out of the air, flying beneath a Ravenclaw Chaser who had gone for it as well.

Lily took to the sky, pulling upward quickly and dodging a Bludger, which had gone for her legs, in the process. Unsure of what play to run with Annie, as all of their plays had been set up for three Chasers, Lily followed an assuring nod from Annie who flew beside her. While she wasn't sure of what Annie planned on doing, Lily knew she had to follow her senior's lead.

Two Ravenclaw Chasers were hot on her tail, but Lily kept following Annie's lead before passing the Quaffle to her. Lily pulled up and raced toward the goals, away from the Chasers, motioning for Annie to pass the Quaffle her way for a goal. Annie, not looking Lily's way, refused and took the shot, missing it.

Lily groaned at the missed attempt for points, but she didn't have much time to think about it as she had to whiz after a Ravenclaw Chaser while dodging a Bludger hit by Lorcan Lovegood. Pulling her body tightly to the broom, Lily flew her fastest after him, snagging the Quaffle from the air when he threw it toward Damien and the Gryffindor goal. Lily smiled when she heard the Gryffindors cheer for her nice play.

"Toss it here, Lil!" Annie yelled from below her.

Listening to the sixth year, she flew away from her own Keeper and dropped the Quaffle down to Annie, allowing Annie to go for another goal, which she missed. Again.