Chapter Twenty-Two

Lily couldn't have been happier with their punishment from Slughorn. A night in the Forbidden Forest helping Hagrid look for potions ingredients for Professor Slughorn; Lily couldn't have planned that sort of chance. If they were going to get some sort of information out of a detention, it would be a detention in the Forbidden Forest. Lily was sure of this.

"I hope that thing doesn't try to kill us again," Eli said as the four Gryffindors walked down to the steps to the castle's entryway two days after the incident.

Lily flipped the end of her Gryffindor scarf over her shoulder and shook her head, "Not when we're with Hagrid. He'll protect us."

"And what help is Hagrid going to be?" Hugo asked. "He didn't even finish his years at Hogwarts."

"You're just the most insensitive being in the entire world, aren't you, Hugo?" Lily asked, shaking her head at her cousin. "You know exactly why Hagrid couldn't finish school."

"I was just pointing out a fact," Hugo said, rolling his blue eyes at Lily. "He was expelled from Hogwarts. Even though it wasn't justified, he was still expelled, which means he didn't finish school."

"What?" Rudy asked. Lily wasn't shocked to see his wide eyes. "Hagrid was expelled? And they let him teach?"

"He went to school with Voldemort, and Voldemort made it look like Hagrid opened the Chamber of Secrets. The headmaster-"

"What's the Chamber of Secrets?" Rudy asked.

"It's a creepy snake dungeon that you can access through Moaning Myrtle's bathroom," Eli said. "Salazar Slytherin built it."

"How do you know that?" Rudy asked.

"Have you met my family?" Eli asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Anyway," Lily said, ready to continue her explanation of Hagrid's expulsion, "the headmaster at the time, Dippet, believed Voldemort and expelled Hagrid even though Hagrid hadn't done anything at all. Dumbledore wanted Hagrid to stay at Hogwarts, so he became the gamekeeper and eventually the Care of Magical Creatures professor."

"Nice to know the history of Hagrid, isn't it?" Cassie said from behind them before falling into line beside Lily. "He told me everything when we were getting to know each other last year. Trust is paramount with secrets."

"Very true," Lily said, knowing that from experience. "That's why I told you guys about the twins. I knew I could trust you all."

"I'd sure hope so," Hugo said. "We've known each other for forever, my dear cousin."

Lily rolled her eyes, "I was talking about everyone else, dear cousin. I've trusted you for forever."

"You heard it here, folks," Hugo said, jumping off of the bottom stairs and turning to face the other four second years. "Lily trusts me more than the rest of you."

"That's not what she said, git," Eli said, grabbing Hugo by the upper arm. "Now, let's go down to Hagrid's before we get a detention for being late to detention."

"Paradoxical," Nora said, approaching the group. "Don't you think?"

"Nora, I don't even know what that word means," Hugo said. "Honestly, what is it with you girls and your smart language?"

"Girls are much better than boys," Cassie said as the six began making their way back to the doors.

"I second that motion," Lily said with a nod. "It's very true."

"I take offense to this," Rudy said.

"I second that motion, Rudy," Eli said.

"Would you shut up, so we can get down there and get this stupid detention over with?" Hugo said, sounding annoyed.