Chapter Twenty-Four

The remaining days of December blew past as Lily worked on finishing her school work. After a whirlwind of essays and snow, Lily was finally back home at Number Twelve Grimmauld Place, ready to celebrate Christmas Eve with her family and friends. Although the Potter-Weasley Christmas Eve broke the Weasley Christmas tradition, the entire family was excited for a new take on Christmas.

"So how was the first part of your second year at Hogwarts?" Lily's mother asked as she opened the oven's door.

Lily sat at the kitchen table, watching her mother cook and get ready for the night's festivities. It was the first time someone other than Lily's Grandma and Grandpa Weasley was hosting a Christmas Eve party, and Lily was interested in seeing how much magic went into the celebration.

"I think it went well," Lily said, wanting to avoid telling her parents about the Sanger twins as she was sure her parents had enough to worry about. "The classes were interesting, and Quidditch has been fun."

"How's the Firebolt Supreme been treating you?" she asked, removing the pie from the oven. "I've heard that it's one of the best brooms out there."

"It's been fantastic," Lily said. "We've only played one Quidditch game so far, and we only had two Chasers for it."

"Your brother told me," her mother said, setting the pie on the counter. "Other than the outburst, how has Eli been?"

"I think alright," Lily said. "He changed his last name to McGonagall."

Lily's mother raised an eyebrow, "Why would he do that?"

"His parents wrote him a letter asking him to change his last name," Lily answered. "That's what caused him to attack his brother on Quidditch day."

"I'm glad Professor McGonagall let him change it," she said. "Eli's more of a McGonagall anyway."

"Definitely," Lily said with a nod.

"What about your other friends? Rudolph? Cassie? Nora?" her mother asked, starting to enchant the ham to carve itself.

"They're all great," Lily said, "but we've started calling Rudolph Rudy. It was Hugo's idea."

Lily's mother laughed, "Why am I not surprised that it was Hugo's idea?"

"We tried calling him Hugs Weasley, but it didn't stick," Lily said, smiling as she thought about her cousin.

"That's my name! Don't wear it out!"

Lily looked up from where her mother stood to the doorway, where Hugo leaned with a smirk.

"Hugs Weasley, live and in person," Lily said, laughing the presence of her favorite cousin as he swaggered into the kitchen.

"Where's the rest of the gang?"

"Not two hours early," I said. "It might have something to do with the fact that you're family, and you know, they're not."

"Seems logical," Hugo said.

"How has your year been so far at Hogwarts, Hugo?" Lily's mother asked.

"Dandy, Aunt Ginny," he said with a nod. "Simply dandy."

"Why do I feel like that was a sarcastic answer, Hugo?" Lily's mother asked with a sigh.

"Me?" Hugo asked, putting a hand over his heart. "Why! I'd never be sarcastic with you, Aunt Ginny! Have some faith in me!"

Lily watched her mum roll her eyes at Hugo, "Lily, why don't you and Hugo head up to your room? I'll send your friends up as they get here, and then, I'll call you down for dinner."