Chapter Thirty-Three

Needless to say, Addie never scheduled another tutoring session with Lily after that night. Although Lily wouldn't want to admit it, she was thrilled that she didn't have to spend any extra time hanging around Addie after their slightly explosive argument. Not hanging around with Addie outside of their shared dorm room meant not hearing Addie speak English, which meant not hearing a slew of insults that Lily understood. In Lily's case, ignorance of the German language was bliss.

Of course, as soon as she returned to the Gryffindor common room, she informed Hugo, Eli, and Rudy of the incident. The next morning, she shared her strange experience with her non-Gryffindor friends: Cassie and Nora. Two weeks passed, and her friends still couldn't believe Lily's argument with Addie. Lily could barely believe it either.

"You know, I still can't believe what you said about Addie," Nora said, echoing Lily's sentiments. It was a Friday night, and Lily, Cassie, and Nora were in the library pouring over their Potions notes for an upcoming test. "You're a genius with Potions, Lil. How anyone wouldn't accept your help, I'll never know."

Lily shrugged, not knowing how to respond to her friend's compliment.

"It's true, Lily," Cassie said with a smile. "You're phenomenal with the subject. I bet you're better than most of the older students in the class. Addie should never have quit your tutoring."

Again, Lily shrugged and looked down at her notes, slightly sheepishly, "Look, Addie and I didn't get on well, so it's no real shock that she didn't want my help any longer."

"Her loss," Nora said nonchalantly, picking up her quill to mark something on her notes.

The girls continued their quiet study time in the dusty, old library for a few more minutes until they were interrupted by the chaotic trifecta of Hugo, Eli, and Rudy, who came bursting into the library and hurried to the girls, bringing their cacophonous fracas along with them.

"Hey, guys, listen up," Hugo said, spinning a chair around and sitting down on it backward, letting his long arms rest on the back of the wooden seat.

"Evening to you, too, Hugo," Lily said, barely giving her cousin a glance. She, Cassie, and Nora had invited the boys to join them studying, but the boys denied for some nonsense reason that Hugo had spewed out of his mouth without a thought.

"I said to listen up," Hugo said, slamming the book Lily was studying from shut.

Affronted, Lily sat straight up before leaning back into her chair and crossing her arms. She looked between Eli and Rudy, who stood behind Hugo, flanking him, "Are you two really going to support this madness?"

"The slamming of the book wasn't part of the plan," Rudy said, his voice getting higher as he spoke, as if he were asking if it were part of the plan in the first place.

Lily narrowed her eyes at her friend before turning back to her cousin, "What are you talking about? There's a plan?"

"You wanted us to listen; we're all ears," Cassie said, seeming less annoyed than Lily.

"Alright, so here we go," Hugo said, looking up at Eli and Rudy as he clapped his hands together. "Alright."

"Hugo Weasley, master of the segue," Lily deadpanned, still not pleased about the loud interruption to her hard work.

Hugo looked across the table to Lily and shook his head, "You're just jealous that I have a good idea for once."

Lily scoffed, "Hugo, you haven't even told us your good idea yet. How can I be jealous if I don't even know what you're thinking?"