Chapter Thirty-Nine

The shock and sheer thrill of the Gryffindor win stayed with Lily over the next month—even when she sat out on the Hogwarts lawn after the final day of exams with her friends, the applause still rang in her ears. That was a moment that she knew would be forever etched in her mind.

"Another year pretty much over," Lily said, laying down on the grass and looking up through the green leaves of a massive tree to the blue of the sky. "Isn't it amazing?"

"Yeah, but we still haven't solved the mysteries of the Sanger twins and the Hogwarts thieves," Eli said, laying down next to her.

"Maybe this one will roll over into next year," Cassie said, flopping back down on the grass. "Or maybe it'll just die down somehow—go unsolved, you know."

"No way," Rudy said from where he laid behind Lily's head. "This is doesn't seem like something that will just magically be over without any follow-up, you know. It's going to come to a head very soon. I can feel it."

Lily had to agree with Rudy. Although they had yet to find any new information about the Sanger twins or the Hogwarts thief, Lily felt like something was coming—something big.

"You know," Hugo began, "I still really think that Ike and Douglas as still behind the robberies around the school. I swear that they are."

"I don't think they are though," Lily said. "I've been thinking about those two a lot, but the more I think on it, the less guilty they become in my mind. They seemed pretty angry about your accusations, Hugo."

"Acting," he said, throwing his hands in the air as if it were common sense.

"I don't know," Lily said, her voice trailing off.

"I'm pretty sure they failed all of their exams though," Nora said. "Two thirteen-year-old wizards with failing marks shouldn't be able to steal a bunch of priceless magical items from under everyone's noses. That defies logic."

"Really does," Eli said. "Those two are too stupid to be criminal masterminds."

"Definitely," Lily said before sighing. "Oh well, there's no use discussing this again and again when we have no new leads."

"Very true," Cassie said. "We've been over this hundreds of times and nothing new has come up. I mean, what do we do?"

"Nothing, I guess," Lily answered, shrugging. "Let's just get this out of our minds and talk about something else for once."

"What else is there to talk about?" Nora asked, laughing.

"The summer holiday, of course," Lily said.

Lily hadn't thought about summer much at all even though she would be back on the Hogwarts Express within a few days. The only huge event etched on Lily's calendar was Victoire and Teddy's wedding.

"Alright," Nora said. "What are your summer plans then, Lil? You start us off."

"Just a family wedding," she answered simply. "Those are the only plans I know of so far. It'll be a fairly uneventful summer for me."

"Uneventful and Lily Potter?" Eli said with a laugh. "Those two things can't be compatible."

Lily smiled, "I know. I know. It'll really be nice though. Nothing major this summer. Just my family and I. No mysteries," she sighed before looking to her friend at her side. "What's on your agenda for the summer, Eli?"