Chapter Five

Apparation certainly wasn’t Lily’s favorite means of traveling.

She had landed hard on all fours on some grass in the Irish countryside. It took her a minute to catch her breath as she shakily got to her feet.

“Still hate Apparation, Lil?” her father laughed.

“Unfortunately, yes,” she smiled weakly. “I prefer brooms or even the Floo Network, and we all know how poor I am at that one.”

“Let’s get a move on,” he said. “It’s nearly noon, and you don’t want to be late.”

A few days had passed since the joyous celebration at the Burrow, and it was finally the Thursday of the following week, which Lily had been looking forward to. It was finally time to hang out with her friends at Rudolph’s grandparents’ house.

Her overnight things in tow, Lily followed her father out of the grass and onto the worn, cobblestone road. It was a nice day for a quick walk. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky, and the sun shone brightly.

“Which house is it?” her father asked.

“He said it’s a lone manor on a hill,” Lily said, glancing down at a recent letter from Rudolph that she held in her hand.

“Like that one?” he continued, pointing at a stony manor on the hill in front of them.

“It looks like it fits the bill,” she shrugged, putting the letter in the pocket of her pants. “That must be it.”

The pair of Potters made their way up the cobblestone road to the equally stony manor that sat upon the hill. After five minutes of walking, Lily was finally knocking on the ancient wooden door. Before she could get a second knock in, the door swung open, revealing a kind-looking woman with a wreath of white curls framing her wrinkly face.

“Are you one of Rudolph’s friends?” she asked with a smile. “I’m his grandmother, Maeve.”

“I’m Lily,” Lily greeted, shaking the woman’s frail hand. “It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“RUDOLPH!” she yelled. “One of your friends is here!”

There was a loud banging as someone sped down the steps, and within a moment, Rudolph appeared at the door, smiling.

“Hello, Lily, Mr. Potter,” he greeted.

“Good to see you again, Rudolph,” Lily’s father said. “Now, when should I pick Lily up tomorrow?”

“Does eleven sound good?” she asked.

“Fine,” he nodded. “Well, I’ll be off then. Behave yourself, Lily.”

“I’m not James; you don’t have to worry about me,” Lily laughed. “Bye, Dad.”

As her dad walked down the hill, Rudolph led Lily into a sitting room, which had some of the most horrific, floral wallpaper that she had ever seen. Despite the ugly wall dressings, the sofas were surprisingly tasteful.

“Is anyone else here yet?” Lily asked.

Before Rudolph could answer, there was a knock on the door.

“I guess so,” he laughed, hopping off of the sofa and running to greet the newcomer.

Rudolph returned a moment later with a boy with a head of messy, black hair in tow. Eli Harris.

“Lily!” Eli smiled.

Lily stood up from the sofa to give her friend a quick hug. The three friends began a quick conversation, but it ended when the doorbell rang; this time it was Hugo who joined the group.