Chapter 22: Dirt

Chapter 22: Dirt

I went to bed not long after that exchange. I knew at some point during the night, Dean joined me. I decided against sleeping in my room—the effect of just walking in there was enough to convince me it was a bad idea, so I opted for sleeping in the guest bedroom down the hall. I would've taken my parent's bedroom, the master bedroom, but that would just be another grim reminder of what happened.

I was somewhere between restless and rested most of the night, switching between periods of deep sleep and periods of being unable to fall back asleep. It wasn't until Dean had slid in beside me and pulled me against him that I finally relaxed. But, even then, I only slept for a few more hours.

The sun had just risen over the horizon, bathing the sky in shades oranges and yellows unlike any other, when I opened my eyes. I laid there for a bit, deciding whether getting up at this hour and leaving the warmth of Dean's embrace was worth it. It was when my stomach growled that I decided it was worth it, and that going to the store before the boys got up was something that needed to be done.

I skillfully slid out from under Dean's arm, glancing back as I padded across the room to the door to make sure I hadn't woken him. His soft snoring indicated my efforts were successful, and he hadn't been disturbed. Slipping out of the room, I quietly tiptoed down the stairs and through the living room to the back hallway, making my way to the garage door and out into the garage to my car.

Popping the trunk, I grabbed my bag containing my clothes and other assorted things, slinging it over my shoulder and heading back inside to change. I chose a plaid button down and black skinny jeans, slipping my combat boots and leather jacket on as I headed back into the garage and plopped down in the driver's seat of my car.

Just as I started the car and opened the garage, the passenger side door opened. I looked over, raising an eyebrow when Cas gracefully sat down in the passenger seat, his deep blue eyes boring into me.

"Mind if I join you?" I shook my head.

"Please, be my guest. At least, as long as you plan on helping me carry the groceries back in," I teased, and the fallen angel smiled.

"I'll assist in any way that I can," he replied curtly. With that, I pulled out of the garage and down my driveway, looking both ways before pulling out onto the main road and speeding down the highway.

Cas and I sat in a comfortable silence for most of the ride—I focused on the road and he kept his gaze glued to the scene outside the window. Eventually; however, the questions he was harboring became too much. He glanced at me.

"Were you ever planning on telling us that that was your house," the ex-angel asked, crossing his arms across his chest.

"I told Dean, but I assumed that you and Sam could figure it out like the somewhat observant hunters you usually are," I quipped, shrugging. There was a long pause, the only sound the music from the radio.

"Does it hurt to be back," he asked suddenly, looking over at me almost worriedly. My breath caught in my throat, and I choked, turning rather sharply into the parking lot of the grocery store. Parking, I unbuckled, but didn't get out, just stared out the windshield rather absentmindedly.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offe-," but I cut him off with a shake of my head.

"Yes, it hurts. Which is funny because humans tend to avoid things that scar them—because that's something they remember and learn a lesson from," I sighed. "But I had to come back here one day. It's hard to stay away from home for too long." Popping the door open, I stepped out, and Cas followed suit, walking at my side as we proceeded across the parking lot.