Chapter 14: Miss Murder

In all honesty, 'macabre' was an understatement. I cringed at the real damage done to the body as Dr. Moss pulled it out. I wasn't one to cringe like I did, but this was something else. Dean wasn't kidding when he said the bodies had been fried to a crisp.

What was left of the victim's skin was splotchy, bright red in the areas where the skin had yet to peel off, and a dark red-ish brown color in the places where the skin had peeled off or where it was gone completely, the latter coloring covering the majority of the body. Red dots decorated some of the more severe parts of the wounds, showing where the electricity surging through the cells had caused their blood vessels to explode. Although I wasn't a doctor, I knew what third degree burns looked like, the problem was that these surpassed even the worst third degree burns.

Dr. Moss also explained that although they had already drained all of the organs and removed the heart and lungs as well as the brain. This body was the body of the victim who had suffered internal bleeding—puncture wounds had been found in the heart and in the left lung, showing the path the electricity had travelled.

"Electricity did all of this," I asked, my eyes wide. Dr. Moss nodded.

"Amazing, isn't it," she asked, letting out a small laugh at the looks we gave her. "I'm not saying that I don't feel bad for them—I do, just the power of nature is incredible." I glanced up at her, then back at the body before eyeing Dean.

"Do you really think something, natural, for the lack of a better word, could cause this much damage," Dean asked. Dr. Moss seemed somewhat surprised by the question, but shrugged.

"A lot of weird things have been happening around here lately. This isn't the first freak lightning storm we've had-- happened a couple weeks ago, too. No one was injured then, though. Two people; however, were hospitalized a couple towns over about a month ago after another freak storm hit them."

"And, what town was this," I asked leaning back on my heels, intrigued.

"Greenleaf—about a half hour drive from here," Dr. Moss replied.

"Want me to call Garth," Dean asked reaching for his phone. I shook my head.

"Not yet-- wait until we're done here," I replied. Dean nodded, turning his attention back to the body.

"Now, usually before the bodies can be processed, you guys clean them up," Dean started, gesturing towards the messy, crumbling body. "What happened here?"

"Try touching it," Dr. Moss said, a small smirk gracing her lips. My eyes narrowed, and I slowly reached down, jumping back when a spark flew from the body, striking my hand, leaving a small burn on my fingertips.

"What the hell," I growled, pressing my burnt fingertips together lightly, flinching as pain radiated outward from the wounds.

"The body is still electrically charged. We can't touch it unless we wear rubber gloves, and even then what we can do is limited," Dr. Moss said turning around, motioning for me to head her way. Making my way carefully around the body, glaring at Dean when he snickered at my cautiousness, I took my place beside Dr. Moss. She turned, pulling something out of the bottom cabinet, turning back towards me, a small bag of ice in her hands.

"Rest your fingertips on this," she said handing it to me. "It should help relieve the stinging. I didn't think it would burn you as bad as it did. Sorry about that." I shrugged.

"Now we know not to touch it," I laughed making my way back over to Dean's side. "Do you think you could give us a couple minutes to look the body over?" Dr. Moss nodded.