Chapter 3: If You Ever Get Lonely

I walked along the bookshelves, scanning all of the volumes, wondering where to start. I loved to read, but I usually never had the time or I couldn't find anything that looked interesting. Now, I was surrounded by countless books about supernatural beings and encounters as well as lore and the very history of theology. The only problem? It would take several lifetimes for me to finish them all. A hundred years' worth of information on unknown circumstances under one roof-- it was incredible.

I bent down, examining the first book on the bottom shelf, pulling it out and flipping it open. Dust went everywhere and I burst out into a coughing fit. I heard Sam start laughing from the next room.

"Sorry, I forgot to warn you about that. Some of these books are pretty old and have gone untouched for decades," he called. I rolled my eyes. 

"Duly noted," I replied heading into the next room, sitting down beside the younger hunter who was on his laptop. Propping my feet up, I set the book in my lap, sliding my hand along the thin, stiff pages, carefully turning them. The world seemed to disappear as I was absorbed into the fine print on the page. It wasn't until I felt something hit my foot that I became aware of everything around me again.

I looked up to find a plate of muffins sitting there. Sam grabbed the blueberry one, taking a bite. It was only when the sweet smell reached me that I realized how hungry I was. I reached forward, grabbing the chocolate chip one and taking a small bite. It was delicious.

"I take it you approve," Dean said sitting down across the table from me, reaching forward and stealing the strawberry muffin.

"Mmhf," I mumbled through another mouthful of muffin. 

"Did you make these," Sam asked glancing up at his brother. Dean nodded.

"I realized we hadn't had breakfast yet when I was in the kitchen and I figured I'd fix something." That was when the door near the back of the room opened. We all looked up. An Asian boy came walking in, scanning us.

"It's noon-- and a little late for breakfast, isn't it," he asked reaching for one of the two muffins left.

“Food is food," I said eyeing him. He looked up at me, finally realized there was a +1 in the room.

"Kevin, this is Grayson," Dean said flicking his hand towards me. "Grayson, Kevin." I nodded in acknowledgement.

"Nice to meet you," the boy said holding out his hand. I took it, shaking it lightly. As soon as I let go; however, a searing pain split through my arm. I gasped, jumping out of my chair, somewhat shocked. Then everything started fading. I collapsed onto my knees, reaching out and attempting to grab the edge of the table, but I missed, falling into my side, crying out in pain one last time before I fell unconscious.

When I opened my eyes, all I saw was black. I felt like I was floating amidst a sea of darkness. Then there was a bright flash. I closed my eyes, covering my face, trying to block it out. It faded seconds later and was replaced by a soft orange glow. I opened my eyes again, gasping, taken aback by my surroundings.

Large orange symbols were flying past me. I watched, trying to make out what they were saying, but I couldn't read them. They were in a language unknown to me, but for some odd reason, they looked familiar.

I attempted to stand up, but was unsuccessful. The movement sent me plummeting. I called out for help, but I knew no one could hear me. Finally I gave up, watching as the symbols faded from sight. 

But not all was lost. A little ways off I could see a faint light. It looked to be heading straight for me. That was when I realized it was the same shadow from my vision before, just in the opposite form-- from dark to light, like the progression of both visions. I reached for it, hoping it would be able to catch up, but the farther I fell, the smaller it grew. 

I called out to it, but my voice was lost in the sound of fluttering wings. Flinching, I closed my eyes, waiting for all of this to end. Finally this scene faded too, and I fell into a quiet oblivion. 

***

When I woke up I found myself in a rather comfortable bed in a dark room, the only light coming from the hall light outside the cracked door. I rolled over, grabbing my head when everything started spinning. Eventually the dizziness subsided, but was replaced by a faint throbbing.