Chapter 12: For My Sake

It was a relatively quiet night. Dean was still quietly sleeping beside me. He hadn’t moved at all in the last four hours, which is rather surprising seeing as we were using some rather bumpy back roads to avoid the traffic that usually caught up with us on the highway. Thanks to Sam’s fast thinking (and driving for that matter), he had cut our remaining travel time in half.

Now we only had a few hours left, but the longer we drove, the heavier I felt my eyelid’s grow. I really couldn’t figure out why I was, so tired. I could understand why Dean was, but this was strange on my end. I leaned forward, turning the radio up, jumping when my hand slipped and turned the volume up way too loud. Dean sprang up into a sitting position, grabbing my hand, his eyes wide. I scrambled to turn the volume down, leaning back in my seat and taking a deep breath.

“Jesus Christ Grayson,” Dean sighed running his hand through his hair.

“Sorry babe,” I sighed, laughing. “How was your nap?”

“Surprisingly peaceful,” he replied, laughing along with me. “But I encountered a rather abrupt awakening.”

“Again, my bad,” I replied rolling my eyes. “I was basically falling asleep and figured music would fix that.

“Are you wide awake now?”

“Hell yeah.”

“Then it worked,” he retorted flicking my shoulder playfully. “For both of us.” I smiled, leaning forward against the steering wheel, trying to stretch out my aching back.

“You’d think after going on, so many cases and traveling from place to place constantly, that I’d get used to being in a car for long periods of time,” I said, flinching when my back popped.

“I could give you a massage,” Dean suggested, winking.

“I’ve watched enough porn to know where that’s going,” I laughed “And I’d be totally cool with it.” Dean eyed me, seductively biting his lower lip. I gently, but playfully pushed his face away.

“Down boy-- not now,” I scoffed, and he gave a throaty growl in protest. I smirked, quickly, but gracefully leaning over and placing a gentle, provoking kiss on his jaw.

“Do you really wanna start this now,” he huffed “Because I will make you stop this car right here, right now, drag you outside, and fuck you senseless on the hood.” I tightened my grip on the steering wheel, tempted to slam on the brakes and take him up on his offer, but I forced myself to keep driving.

Just then, Sam, who was driving in front of us slammed on the brakes, sending the Impala sliding into the ditch.  I copied Sam’s movements when my headlights reflected off of what appeared to be human eyes, jerking the wheel sideways and sending my Camaro spiraling into the ditch in front of the Impala, hoping I hadn’t hit whoever was standing in the middle of the road.

“You okay,” I asked looking over at Dean. He nodded, surprise evident in his bright green eyes. Unbuckling, I opened my door, climbing out and stepping over the small ridge that sat at the top of the ditch and up onto the road.

Just then, a shadow appeared in front of me, bursting out of the darkness that enveloped us, dashing towards me. The next thing I knew, punches were being thrown, one just barely missing my face. I jumped back out of my attackers reach, turning on my heel and throwing a powerful roundhouse kick when the shadow shot forward after me. I nailed whoever it was in the ribs, sending them flying sideways.

That was when I felt a hand clutch the back of my leather jacket, jerking me back, spinning me around, and pinning me against the door of my Camaro, knocking the air out of my lungs. I gasped for a breath, flinching when I felt the cold tip of a blade against my neck.