Chapter 11: Wherever I May Roam

Grayson’s P.O.V.

When I woke up, I found myself in Dean’s bed. I couldn’t remember how I had ended up here. I figured Dean had probably carried me in here. A wave of guilt washed over me. Why didn’t he just wake me up? Don’t get me wrong, I was grateful, but he’s already done, so much for me.

I pushed myself up, realizing I was still dressed, I smiled slightly, feeling somewhere between disappointed and relieved. Why? I’ll, keep that to myself. I’ll be honest and admit I had expected last night to have ended differently, but I got something so much better than what I was expecting.

Memories of last night came rushing back to me. I had never seen anything, so beautiful. The way the stars had shown in the dark sky-- it had been mesmerizing. All of those nights he had disappeared, I had always wondered where he had gone, but now it all made sense. No one had ever done something, so thoughtful for me before.

I wasn’t even sure how I would be able to thank him. I had uttered those two works last night, but they would never be able to express the true gratitude I felt. I closed my eyes, wishing I could relive those moments, wishing I could go back in time and show him what I really felt. The sense of loneliness that had settled in my heart right after my parents had died seemed to have faded last night, sitting on his lap under the stars. I felt free.

And then there was always the familiar, but refreshing feeling of his lips on mine and the comforting feeling of his body pressed against mine, a reality I had wished for. I had never really acknowledged until that moment the longing that sat at the back of my mind. Longing for what? I’m not sure, but I realized just how long it had been since I finally had something to believe in. Up until this point, I had been wandering from town to town endlessly. You might say my objective was saving lives, but the whole time I craved something more, I just wouldn’t admit it to myself.

Although, while I was sitting there, under the night sky with this other hunter who I had only met a couple of months ago, there was a distinct heaviness that still resided in my heart. I knew that was my heart’s way of warning my brain not to give in. I had always been wary of making alliances, especially with other hunters.

I learned my lesson the hard way when the first hunters I had ever met when I had first started acted trustworthy in the beginning, but later ended up turning on me and stabbing me in the back, both literally and figuratively. That, combined with the fact that I watched my parents get murdered right in front of my eyes by, so called ‘holy’beings, are the reasons I have trust issues-- not the only reasons, of course, but the main reasons.

I could go into all of the smaller incidents that slowly wore away at my self-worth and mutual trust, but there are so many of them I wouldn’t really know where to start. I’ll just end this rant with the fact that I know better than to get attached to people. Why? Because the people I come to know and trust always end up dead because of me or they end up betraying me. There really is no in-between.

Just then, the sound of yelling echoed down the hall, snapping me out of my thoughts. I looked up, raising a confused eyebrow. It sounded like Sam and Dean were arguing. Eventually Cas and Kevin’s voice joined theirs, making it sound like there was an uprising.

Sighing, deciding to go and see what was going on, I crawled out of Dean’s bed, scooting the covers aside and sliding off, my feet lightly touching down on the solid floor below.

I was about to walk out the door when I looked down, realizing how wrinkled my clothes were. I turned, another sigh escaping my lips, making my way to the back corner of the room and unzipping my bag and pulling out my black and silver Metallica t-shirt, a pair of my black leggings, undressing and putting these on, pulling my hair up into a messy bun before heading out the door and down the hall. I stopped in my tracks when I reached the door that lead into the main room, pressing my ear against the door, trying to see if I could catch what they were arguing about, so that I could… prepare myself before I went in.