5| The Beginning of the Storm

"Morning Sav." Shawn says as he sits next to me at the counter taking the box of Cheerios from me and pouring himself a bowl.

"Ugh." I grunt stabbing my cereal with my spoon as I watch Nate and Kayla's interview on the tv. "Just look at him. The way he stands there all smiley with her. And all the girls all around him... Him and his stupid surfing." In the video he puts an arm around Kayla and hugs her close to him. I flinch a little bit.

"Savannah do you even know this guy?" Shawn turns to me looking surprised. "He's Nate Carter, one of the youngest surfers to compete in competitions all over the world. He started in Maui where he was born, then moved to Australia for two years when he was asked to participate in a master training program with past professionals- like the one you did in Greece. He came back to Maui a year ago and trained more there, then just moved here about what... Like a week ago? "

"6 days ago." I say looking back down at my cereal.

"So you do know him?"

"Sort of."

"Really?? How??!!" Shawn says shaking my shoulders.

"It's not important." I say and I'm about to leave the room when I look back at the T.V and hear Kayla's bitch voice spit out words that hit like venom.

"Nate and I are excited to announce to the press that we are an official couple!" She then pulls him in and kisses him, and then smiles at the cameras.

Kayla.... and Nate.

This can't be happening.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ok so Brandy Melville?" Marissa says as we walk through the mall eating FroYo.

"We always go there can we pleeeease go to Forever 21? They have everything!" Lola exclaims excitedly as she takes a large spoonful of her mango yogurt.

"Savannah where do you want to go?" Marissa asks me but I don't hear her at first, as I'm focused on the T.Vs all over the mall replaying the interview with Nate and the devil. I still can't believe Kayla's back. I haven't seen her since we were Shawn's age and she had obviously improved since then. The only thing that hasn't changed is how she seemed to love to beat me, and how she always had a new boy toy... This one happened to be Nate. Great.

"SAVANNAH!?"

"Sorry sorry. What was the question?" I say turning my attention back to them. Lola turns her attention over to the screen I was looking at.

"Sav you've gotta stop thinking about surfing. I know you miss it but you dwelling on it will only make it worse." Lola says rubbing my shoulder.

"Let's go to your favorite store to cheer you up! Tilly's?" I smile at Marissa's suggestion.
Finally something enjoyable.

We walk in and I immediately feel nauseous.
There's pictures of Kayla plastered everywhere, and posters all around saying 'Meet the new face of Tilly's, surfer pro Kayla Harris!' And then I look to see who's at the counter- none other than Kayla herself. Greeting people and flashing her overly fake smile. And then I see her look over my way. I quickly look for Marissa and Lola but they're already on different sides of the store looking around. I run over to hide behind the penny boards and grab a giant sun hat to cover my face. But then I'm disturbed by viciously high pitched scream.

"AHH oh my goodness Savanna Violet is that you!?"

No.

No no.

Absolutely not.

I turn around to face her. She's wearing all billabong and has pounds of makeup on. Her hair is swept into a perfect and long fishtail braid with little flowers decorated in it.