Chapter 12

......

My eyes flutter open. I don't see Matthew, but I see Autumn. An expression of happiness and shock blended together suddenly reached across my face.

"Autumn!" I yell, "I'm so glad to see you!"

"Me too." Autumn mumbles as she reaches to hug me.

Bonk!

Autumn's head collides with mine in the clumsiest way ever! It creates a big black and blue bruise on Autumn's and my left temple.

"Are you okay?" I ask with concern, stepping away from the hug as I talk.

"I'm fine, Summer. I came here for something else." Autumn says.

"What?" I ask.

Autumn stares into my eyes with fear and compassion, blended together. Her face is filled with fear as well. Autumn inhales, then exhales. Then inhales. Then exhales.

"Summer, you're killing me. Every step that you take." Autumn says.

"How am I supposed to save you?" I ask.

"Don't." Autumn mumbles.

"Why!" I yell.

"Just don't." Autumn replies honestly, her head in her hands, "Goldilocks did the right thing to teach me how to fight. She can probably find the way back to Earth."

"Somebody just kidnapped me and told me that I'm part fairy, Autumn! I'll lose Mom and Dad! And Blake and Joseph, but I don't care about Blake! He could die! I'll be kicked out of my house, Autumn! I can't lose you!" I yell with fearful expressions spread across my face.

"They might try to kick you out, but the spirit of cupcakes is with you. I don't know what it would do though.... Anyway.... You could just stay here." Autumn says.

"Autumn Virginia Grime! What the heck are you thinking! Has your mind drifted to Egypt or something?!" I ask with anger.

"Let's start the full names game, Summer Felicity Grime!" Autumn yells.

"Just shut up." I mumble.

"You shut up." She replies.

She bursts into laughter. She laughs so hard tears come out of her eyes.

"Catch me." She mumbles as she falls back to the ground.

I catch her in time, right before she's about to land on the cold, hard, ground.

"Just like Kailey?" I ask.

"You got it!" Autumn yells in reply.

"How's it going?" I ask.

"Goldilocks has taught me a lot. She and her husband, Jack..." She started.

"Jack in the Beanstalk?!" I ask/yell to Autumn in shock, my mouth draped open.

"Close your mouth before you catch flies." She says as she places her hand over my mouth.

"Is it Jack in the Beanstalk?!" I ask.

"Yep!" She yells in reply.

I see a shimmering light.

"This isn't real. It's just a dream. Nice to see you, Autumn." I mumble.

"I wish you were really here." Autumn mumbles in reply.

A tear suddenly drips down my face. I see tears streaming down her face as well.

"Nice to see you. I hope you're okay." I mumble.

I see Autumn biting her lip with that same feeling of pure anxiety that I have. Twin empathy, I guess. For that one human us twins were supposed to be, we are pretty different people.

......