Chapter 17

Staring into Matthew's eyes hurt me, knowing how much I trusted him and all. I let him drag me on the ground, helping him escape from Trobella's mansion/jail.

"I know you're vulnerable," Matthew taunts.

"Shut your face," I reply defensively.

He glares at me. "See?"

Matthew's pretty logical... And it kills me to even think of it. I'm probably missing driver's ed and so is Autumn. Before I came here, I've always wanted to drive a car. Now, I know that unicorns can transport us and I wish it was common. Before, I cried and cried fearing i wouldn't be able to drive. But driving a car is the least of my concerns. I miss her terribly. I miss her baking cupcakes around the house, and the acrid fumes of burnt asparagus. Her cupcakes were actually quite good, when she put in cinnamon instead of vanilla. It made my throat tingle of all the upcoming tastes that will bombard me.

"I probably am, but despite your rudeness, I will shut your face with everything I can," I mutter defensively.

"You're one of the most vulnerable people in the world, aren't you, Summer Virginia Grime?"

I'm taken aback with how much he knows about me. I never told him any of this.

"Would you like me to find Autumn?"

"How do you know all this?"

He paused for a minute, scratched his head lightly, then turned towards me. "Because I'm observant. I watch everything, everyone, and certainly all of Trobella's soldiers."

I'm absolutely mortified. Nothing in the world bothers me more than Matthew's curiosity. It makes me want to fall. Fall to my death. I know Autumn will hate me for it. I'm starting to shudder, all my bones in my upper body cracking. I smell the horrible fragrance of my own body, then I just want to to throw it at Matthew. Make him smell the worst fragrance possible. I want him to vomit, him to disappear into thin air. Matthew touches my ear.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

Then, I feel something. His lips pressing against mine. I start to feel better. Feel soothed. Feel understood. And we stay like that, wrapped up in each others arms, for an incredibly long time.

"I knew you cared," Matthew mutters, then he pressed his lips on top of mine again.

Then, our fates changed. The whole world spins around us as we stay in each other's arms.