Chapter 1

As I walked through the hallway of school on the first day of my last year, I couldn't help but sigh. I may be a 'geek' but even I am super happy that this is my last year and I get to go to college and as far away from Nate as possible.

"Geek." Someone muttered as I walked past. Her friends broke into giggles as they tried to trip me up. I dodged by jumping over their feet but bumped into someone in the process.

"Watch it." He yelled as he sent me and my bag flying. A few of my books fell out and I quickly scrambled to pick them up before I continued to wander down the corridor.

I groaned as I turned round the corner to see Nate standing by my locker. Every year he does this. Every single year.

"Maya, how lovely it is to be back at school." He smiled at me.

"No where near as lovely as it could be if you weren't here." I muttered as I pushed past him and opened my brand new locker that already had graffiti and harsh words printed all over its door. How these people know exactly which locker is mine I will never know.

"Oh but it is." He smiled. "Are you prepared for the year ahead, little geek?" He asked.

"Without a doubt." I replied sarcastically before dumping my bag in my locker and grabbing my pencil case, notebook and reading book for registration.

"Good. Because I have a lot planned for you my little brain box." He said as he tapped me on the head like a dog. What he means is a lot more insults and a lot more homework for me to complete for him.

"Well I will look forward to it." I replied with a fake smile.

"Of course you will." He smirked before he walked off with his two friends behind him. They were like his two little followers. Like the plastics... but not girls.

I walked into registration and hung my head low as I made my way to the back corner. School had officially started.

---------------------------------------------------------

"I don't want to go to the party." I told my mum that evening.

"You're going." She replied with a tone she thinks intimidates me when really all I want to do is laugh because she makes the funniest face when using it.

"No." I said again. Another dumb work party. Last time I went, it was really boring and I got weird looks from all the other rich people's children because of my clothing choice.

Yep, that's right, my parents are loaded. My dad works abroad so we only get to see him on special occasions but it makes no difference and my mum runs a very, very successful business that has outlets everywhere.

"It's boring." I moaned.

"Take a book." She replied as a compromise.

"No." I said. "I've read them all, I need to get new ones." I replied.

"I got you new ones last week. We got eleven!" She exclaimed.

"It's been the holidays! I had loads of time to read!" I replied.

"Am I ever going to get you to come with me?" She asked. I shook my head as I held in a smile, I knew she was going to give up eventually.

"Fine, stay here then." She huffed before she walked out of my room and downstairs to hers. I did a little victory dance before going downstairs and making a pizza.

When I had eaten, my mum appeared wearing a beautiful dress. "Mother, you look absolutely divine." I smiled at her.

"Thank you." She replied as she grabbed her house keys and put them in her purse.