Chapter 3

On Monday morning, Nate tried to insult me like usual but I just walked away. I refuse to listen to his nasty words any longer.

"How dare you walk away." He said through gritted teeth as he walked towards me in the library at lunch. It didn't take me long to realise that he wasn't with his mates.

"Where are your little followers?" I sneered.

"I told them I needed to have a private conversation with you." He said and he sounded very angry. "I had to sleep outside on a park bench last night because I had no one that I could go to. I thought I could count on you, but you let me down." He snarled.

"You thought you could count on me? After the way you've treated me? Are you being generally serious? You've picked on me for years, always trying to make me feel like i'm not normal. Why would I do anything for you?" I asked in a whisper which isn't as effective as shouting.

He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "You know what, you're right. I have been awful, but I thought that the amount I have apologized would have been okay, obviously not." He replied.

"No amount of apologizing is going to fix it, don't you see? The damage is done. I tried to forgive you yesterday, I really did, but you messed it up when you went right back to normal after you saw her in town. I would have been okay if you hadn't done that." I said as I stood up and flung my bag over my shoulder.

"OK, so I messed up. I'm sorry okay?"

"No, it is not OK! I'm sick of this, all of it! Can't you just leave me alone?"I shouted as we walked down the corridor. I suddenly bumped into someone.

"No can do missy." Someone said and I soon realized that it was one of Nate's little followers.

"I told you two that this was a private conversation." Nate almost growled at them.

"Aww why? You can't have all the fun." The other one said.

"See, entertainment." I said as I pointed to them and looked at Nate. He sighed and shook his head. His little sidekicks looked confused. "Ohhh, I see, your little friends think it is for entertainment. Well, that's not what he told me. He said that it isn't for fun. Well, what exactly is it then Nate?" I asked as I looked him dead in the eye and put my hands on my hips.

"Woah little lady, remind me to never get on your bad side." One of the mean boys said. Yeah, they're nicknames need a lot of work.

"Your already on it." I replied. "All of you. So Nate, what is it for?" I asked again. He was silent and didn't say anything for a while so I just gave up and walked away.

That night, I was sat in my room when I heard a slight knocking sound on my window. It sounded like a stone. It was quiet for a minute before I heard another one.

I walked up to the window and looked out. I opened it and just as I did, something flew in and landed on my floor. I turned to look at it, it was a Skittle. I looked back out of my window and a Skittle hit me in the head. "Sorry." I heard someone whisper.

I tried to get a better look at the person by shining the torch on my phone down onto them. I soon realized that it was Nate.

"What are you doing here? I asked.

"I want to talk to you." He replied. "Also, I'm extremely bored." He added.

"Well, you're not coming in." I replied.

"Ugh, are you still annoyed at me?" He asked as his shoulders sank a little.

"I will never not be annoyed. Now if you'll excuse me, i'm trying to sleep." I said before I closed the window. He continued to throw Skittles at my window so I stormed over and opened it. "Stop wasting Skittles" I shouted.

"Let me in and you can have the rest." He said as he held up a huge bag of them.

"Fine." I said as I closed the window and went downstairs to open the door for him. I told him to be quiet as we crept upstairs to my room. "Give me the Skittles, now." I said when we got up there. He handed them over and then sat on my bed. I shook my head and pointed to the sofa by my TV. He went and sat down on there and I threw him a blanket. "You can stay here tonight but tomorrow isn't my problem.

"Seriously?" He asked with a smile on his face.

"How did you know that Skittles are my weakness?" I questioned.

"We used to be best friends, remember? Not quite sure what happened..." He trailed off.

"Not quite sure what happened? You and your new mates happened. You started to pick on me, that's what happened." I replied.

"It's not my fault. You didn't hang round with me anymore, we split into different friendship groups. I'm in the popular one and the popular groups pick on the others, it's how popularity works. There are sacrafices." He replied with a shrug.

"I was hardly a sacrafice." I muttered.

"You were a huge sacrafice." He almost shouted.

"Sure I was." I replied sarcastically.

"You were, I hated the thought of not having you by my side." He said.

"But popularity was more important?" I asked as I raised my eyebrows.

"I know, I made a mistake. I'll always hate myself for it." He admitted.

"No need, if this is your personality then I don't really want to be friends with you anyway. If anything you did me a favour." I said. I realize that it is a little harsh but its the truth.

"It isn't my personality, it's all an act!" He shouted.

"No its not, if it is then you should really have taken drama." I said with a shrug.

"It is." He replied.

"I just want to sleep. Night" I said as I quickly finished the conversation. I didn't want to listen to his rubbish anymore.

He sighed but respected my tiredness and let me sleep.