Chapter 6

I got up the next morning and left an hour before Nate usually gets up. I left a note on the wall opposite his bedroom door where I knew he would see it to tell him that there's a spare key on the kitchen counter and some money for the bus and dinner on there too. It also said that I had gone to school early and into the library to study but I'm not.

I caught the early bus and sighed with relief to see that it was almost empty. I made it too town and had an hour to kill so I sat in costa and had a coffee to wake me up. I left ten minutes before school and made it in time with five minutes to spare.

I had to walk past Nate and his group to get into the building and he didn't even look up at me. Not even once. Looks like he's back to pretending that he doesn't even know me, I suppose it's better than him trying to pull me into the lunch hall.

I got into registration and sat down in the far back corner. It went slowly as usual and so did lessons.

At lunch, I didn't sit in the library as usual; I sat in the room where the mathletes were having their meeting. They got stuck on a question and I helped them out. I learnt all their names, Bailey, Jade, Harper, Bobby, Dean and Hayden. At the end of their meeting, I stayed behind and the leader of the team, Bobby, came up to me.

"How would you like to be on the team?" He asked.

"Me?"

"Yeah you. That question confused us all but you got it easy. It was pure genius." He replied.

"Wow, yeah." I replied "What harm could it do?"

He laughed. "What?"

"I don't think that anyone in the history of the world has said wow when they have been asked to join a maths team." He laughed.

"Oh don't be silly, I'm sure lots of people have." He laughed some more and shook his head. I laughed along too.

"So, is it every lunch or..."

"Every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday lunch and today after school we go get chips in town and hang around at the park for a bit if you want to come." He replied.

"Sure, sounds great." I said and then he smiled and waved at me as he made his way out of the room. I collected my things and went to my last lesson of the day. I recognised Bailey as I walked in. I guess I never really paid attention too who was in my classes before.

She gestured for me to sit next to her and I did. We chatted along through the whole lesson and I've never had such a fun lesson before.

We walked to meet everyone after school and then we all walked to the chip shop. We got three large portions of chips and walked to the park where we sat down and shared them all between us.

About twenty minutes after we had started eating, my phone rang. "Hello?" I said as I put the phone on speaker to hear it better.

"Hey Maya, are you at your house yet?" I recognised Nate's voice immediately and apparently so did Jade.

"Nope, I'm at the park in town, why?" I replied.

"I need you to let me in." He replied. I laughed. "I gave you the spare key this morning, did you not get it?" I asked.

There was a long pause and then I heard rustling in his bag. "Oh yeah." he said as jingled the key chain.

"Anything else?" I asked.

"Nope, see you later." He replied before he hung up.

I looked up from the phone to see everyone staring at me. "What?" I asked.

"Why is Nate at your house?" Jade asked.

"And why will he see you later?" Asked bailey.

"And why does he have a key?" Harper added.

"Jeez, one question at a time. Well, he is currently staying with me for a reason I can't say, that's why he'll see me later and he has a key because I didn't want him to talk to me this morning so I left early and left him a key so when he goes to school he can lock up for me and my house will be safe." I replied.

"Can I come and see him?" Jade asked.

"Well... I don't know because he doesn't want people to know he's staying at mine so don't say anything to anyone or he'll kill me. I'm lucky that he has stopped bullying me while he's staying, if I thought it was bad before, I can't imagine what it would be like if this got out." I said as I suddenly realised that if this did get out, I'd be screwed.

"We won't tell a soul, will we guys?" Hayden said. They all shook their heads and put their pinkies in the middle and joined them. I joined in and it felt good to actually have people to lean on.

I ended up staying for another two hours before we all decided that it was a good time to start heading home. It was around 5pm when I set off home and 5:30 when I made it home.

I let myself in and shouted "Hello?"

"Hi." Nate said as he emerged out of the living room.

"Hey, I'm going to head upstairs, see you later?" I said, making an attempt to get away, it didn't work.

"What were you doing at the park all this time? Were you reading?" He asked.

"No, I was with friends actually." I replied.

"Friends? You don't have any friends" He said. It wasn't until after he said it that he realised what he actually said. "Wait, no, I didn't mean it like that." He shouted as I rolled my eyes and wandered off upstairs. I couldn't help but think over what he said.

He ran up the stairs after me and I closed the door on him. He then kept knocking on it until I eventually yanked it open. "What?" I almost shouted.

"I didn't mean what I said."

"I think you did." I replied.

"No let me explai-"

"No, this is the second time in two days that you have done something like this. Yesterday you made it sound like the idea of kissing me was the last thing you'd want to do and now your telling me that I have no friends. Yes, I didn't have any before today but I have made some with the help of my sad loneliness and I now am a part of a group. A real group of friends. I can't remember the last time I had one of them but it feels good and then after a great day I come home to be insulted by someone who doesn't even live here. Can't you go somewhere else?" I shouted.

"I was going to tell you, my mum said I can come back..." He trailed off.

"Good for you. Off you go" I said as I shooed him out of my room. "Go, go pack, go and live your life, bully me again, act like everything is normal and go back to despising me because we both know you still do." I shouted before I slammed the door in his face.

Apparently he was already packed because a few minutes after that, I heard the door slam downstairs and I saw him walking down the path to the road. He turned around to look back at my window as if he knew I was watching and I hid behind the curtain. He looked sort of... upset? Oh I don't know. All I know is that i'm done with Nate.