Chapter 7

I was walking to registration the next morning when the plastics came my way. Nate turned to me and scowled. He pushed me slightly so I was against a locker. "Oh how i've missed this." He said, almost in a growl as he held my shoulder against the locker and got right up in my face. I didn't fight back. I told him to do this.

"Give me your dinner money." He whispered to me.

I pulled a five pound note out of my pocket and handed it too him. He snatched it from my hand. I looked up into his eyes and he looked down into mine. He may sound angry but his eyes tell a whole other story. He looked more broke than he did when he first turned up on my doorstep.

Suddenly, all I wanted to do was hug him and tell him everything was okay and that he could stay with me for longer, but I didn't. I stood there for a little longer before our eyes broke apart and he shoved me angrily against the locker, causing my books to fall out of my arms where they had been steadily held all this time. I still didn't fight back, I was frozen from his gaze.

He muttered a few nasty words of choice as he walked off with his little followers behind him. I looked at the floor and suddenly, Bailey was at my side. "I'm sorry, I should have got here sooner. I heard through rumors that Nate was cornering you and I ran straight here." She explained.

I smiled at my friend as she looked at me. "Are you okay? Are you hurt?" She asked.

"I'm alright, I'll get over it." I replied as she helped me up.

"Are you okay?" Bobby and the gang asked as they ran round the corner.

"I'm fine." I replied with a smile.

"Are you sure?" They asked.

"I'm fine guys, really." I replied.

They nodded and we split apart after a short conversation. Me and Bailey walked into English together (turns out she's in my English too).

At lunch, we all met in the usual room and did some maths and messed around a bit. Tomorrow is Friday so I asked everyone I they wanted to come round after school and they all agreed. I have already explained that Nate had left which was kind of obvious due to this mornings events.

I looked over at Hayden. "Are you coming later?" I asked as I realised that me never answered my question.

"Yeah sure, sorry, I was zoned out." He replied.

I nodded. "We're all catching the bus to mine after school."

"Okay, I'll come." He said and I smiled.

"Good."

---------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, I was walking with Bailey, conversing about tonight, when the plastics came our way. I didn't try to hide like I usually do, I just let him see me and push me against the locker again. "Dinner money, again." He growled.

I handed him my fiver. I had gone home last night wondering why he was asking for my dinner money before I realised that he must still be having trouble with his parents and they aren't feeding him or giving him money or something and he's afraid to ask his mates.

"Good little Maya. Is this your new friend?" He asked as he looked over at Bailey. When I didn't reply, he signalled one of his little followers to pin her against the wall too. He obviously didn't like hurting girls as he did it pretty gently.

"Let her go." I said through gritted teeth.

"Aww look, the little nerd finally speaks." He mocked.