Chapter 10

This tour has flew by, practically. We've already toured through Australia, Asia, Europe and we just finished South America. Now we're starting the North American part of the tour. Our first show is in Washington D.C. I wish I could sit this show out, because I really don't want to play here. That's why it's first on the North American  part of the tour; so we can get it out of the way. Washington D.C. is where Bryar would come see the shows. It's where I saw her for the first time in years back when we were both like 18. Times have changed so much since then. 

We arrived at the airport, and to no surprise, there were about 100 something fans there, trying to meet us.

"Here we go again.." I said, extremely annoyed. This happens everywhere now, and I can never get peace and quiet when I travel. Fans always know where the fuck I am and it's so bothersome. I put on some headphones, shoved my hands in my pockets and made my way through everyone, with security surrounding me.

"This was fun the first few times, not so much anymore." Michael huffed. We were all kind of over it at this point. I loved playing the music, but I'm kind of done with touring. I think we all are, and we've talked about this being our last tour. We don't want it to end, but I think we're all at a point where we don't want it as badly as we did when we were teenagers. Our fans are going to be heartbroken, but hey, One Direction did it. The directioners are doing okay. We aren't breaking up, just simply taking a break from it all. I have a family, and so does Luke. Calum and Abby have been dating for a while, and they probably want to settle down together. Michael, well he's still doing his own thing, living the single life, but he just wants to sit in his man cave and play video games forever.

"Ash are you going to be alright tonight?" Luke asked me. 

"No, but I'll get through it. I'll fake it until I make it. " I sighed. I just kind of derped around for the whole day. I didn't do anything productive at all. The only thing I did was talk to Bella and Owen. Owen is sick so he's going to the doctors today. He's been sick for a while now, and he looks worse and worse every day. I'm glad he's finally going to see a doctor. 

I had someone do my soundcheck for me today as well. I didn't feel like answering questions or socializing. Everyone gets in those moods where they don't want to be bothered by anyone or anything. Today is that day for me. I asked for Beside You to be taken off the setlist but it was denied. I wish I never wrote that song for her because it's hard enough listening to it every day. 

"Ash, it's time. I'm sorry." Michael came in to get me. I literally have not left the tour bus all day. 

"I know, it's fine." I headed backstage and saw everyone there. Our opening act, North of Nine, was on stage right now and they were killing it. Jackson Guthy is a talented dude. I remember when Owen's name was going to be Jackson. 

"Ashton?" A girl came up and tapped my arm.

"Yeah?" I asked harshly. I didn't mean for it to come out like that but it did. 

"Um, I just wanted to say that I, and every other fan out there tonight have you in their hearts. We all know the story of you and Bryar here. I'm so, so sorry. The lose of her was a lose for everyone in the fandom. Have a great show Ashton. I love you, and I'm here for you." She hugged me. I just hugged her back. I didn't say anything, and I didn't need to. 

"Thank you." I looked at this girl would was maybe about 17 years old who was silently crying. I didn't know if she was sad, or excited to meet me. 

"Ash head on stage now!" My manager yelled. I walked out to the drum set. Here we go, I can do this. I can do this. I started drumming and I heard the crowd screaming loudly. They were so excited, I should be too. I need to be good for my fans right now. Next came out Michael, then Cal, and Luke. We opened with Out of my limit because it's just a general favorite song that we've written. 

Song after song, I found myself getting lost in music, forgetting why I was sad in the first place. As Michael sang the last line of Jet Black Heart, I knew what was next. I just took a deep breath and played the intro to Beside You. 

Everyone held up purple hearts, reading either 'stay strong Ashton' or 'Rest in peace Bryar'. Everyone just stopped playing. Luke stopped first, everyone else just stopped after that. I looked over at Luke and he was holding back tears. Michael had left the stage, and Calum was just stunned. Me, I didn't know what to do. I sat there speechless. The crowd started singing for us, because we were all too emotional to sing.

"She sleeps, alone. My heart wants to come home. I wish I was, I wish I was, beside you." They sang. I looked out in the crowd and only saw her face. Bryar was everywhere. I shook my head and saw individuals once more. Wow that was so weird. 

Mikey returned to the stage with bloodshot eyes from crying I assume. We just skipped that song and moved onto the next one. The rest of the concert was amazing and this was honestly the best show I'd ever played, despite my mood. 

After the concert, I checked my phone and I had many missed calls and Skype calls from my mom. I wonder what's wrong. I'll call her back when I get on the bus. About 4 hours later we got on the tour bus and headed to Hartford, Connecticut. I skyped back my mom right away. She answered within seconds.

"Ashton thank god you answered. You need to come home." She said panicked.

"Mom, I can't just come home. You know that." I rolled my eyes at her. She called me this much to tell me to come home? Seriously mom. 

"Owen is really sick Ash." She said, her eyes saddened. 

"I know, didn't you take him to the doctor today?" I asked.

"Yes, I did. That's why you need to come home.He has got pain in his joints all the time. He gets dizzy, and he always has a fever. He is weak and he's lost weight. He has started to bruise really easily while playing soccer. He barely plays anymore because he isn't strong enough." My mom freaked out.

"Mom, I know this. This has been going on for like months right? It's just gradually gotten worse." This poor kid needs his dad but I can't go home because he's sick.

"Ashton, we didn't tell you because we didn't want you to worry, but I took him to the doctor two weeks ago for the first time. They've been doing tests and labs on Owen since."

"Then what's wrong with him?!" I spat at her.

"Owen has Acute myeloid leukemia. He has cancer." My mom cried out. 

"I'm coming home!" I shut the laptop and started packing right away. 

_________________

Hey guys, I'm pretty sure there will only be 3 chapters left of this. It's gonna be an emotional ride for you guys but I think in the end, you'll love it. I love you guys and thank you for being such amazing readers <3