12.

You and Okita talked. You talked, sitting in your house, with a cup of untouched tea. He told you results of drinking the Water of life. It gave him strength and cured his body. In exchange he functioned only at night time. The sunlight hurt him and made him tired and weak. Now he was transferred to the other division called 'the Corps'.

"It's a horrible name," you said scrunching your nose. He laughed at you. He was called the Fury now. But, he said, he was happy about it. He could be useful again. No matter what he said, it didn't change a fact that guilt welled in you, couldn't be so simply gone.

Immersed in conversation you didn't notice when the down came. Sun beams peeked through the shoji doors. Both of you looked towards the sun as it slowly made way on the horizon.

"I should go," Okita said and stood up.

"Huh?" you blinked. He smirked at you confused face.

"Don't miss me too much, ______."

"You're unbelievable," you pursed your lips and shook you head in disapproval. In the end you smiled and stood up too. You took some sweets from the cabined and gave him. "From the yesterday, but should be still edible," you grinned. "Oh, and take the umbrella with you, it's in the corner."

He blinked at you and took the package. He ruffled you hair like he used to. It made the butterflies in your stomach flutter. Even this small form of affection from him made you immensely happy. Even if whole world crumbled, even if he was the Fury and your heart was breaking at any thought he might die, this simple smile from him made all your worries go away.

He tucked some of stray strands of hair behind your ear. Your heart beat faster when you stood captivated by his gaze. His hand stayed on your cheek and you let yourself to lean to his gentle touch. You didn't know how long the moment would last, but you silently hoped it would never end. You put your hand over his and closed your eyes for a second.

Okita suddenly broke off the contact and took your left hand. You peered at his frowning face. He examined your hand and traced his fingers along the scar. It was the one that Kaoru left when he stabbed you a month ago. The gash healed some time ago, with help of herbs and creams, though it still hurt. On both sides of your hand, extended now a pink, ugly scar.

"______..." he began and squeezed you hand. "I won't let that happen again."

Your eyes went wide and breath hatched in your throat. Was he worried about you? That's impossible isn't it? He made it clear back at the Shinsengumi headquarters. Maybe that part of you that thought that knew him was right. That part you dismissed. The part that told you to not believe a word he said back then, the part that saw right through his lies. The part that made you wait for him and hold onto hope.

"Souji-san..." you said with a small smile. "Just take care of yourself, that's all I need."

He blinked at you shook his head a little.

"You're crazy, you know that?" he concluded and stroked your hair. He turned around and you escorted him to the doors. He took the umbrella with him.

"Souji-san...?" you started looking at your feet. "You know, you can always visit me... Even if it's a night."