18.

''How do I look?" Okita asked when he finally dressed himself up into the new clothing. "______?"

You seized him with your gaze. He looked good in the western clothing, you wouldn't think it would suit him so much. With a new haircut and yellow coat hanging from his posture, he looked captivating. Not that you would admit it - you wouldn't hear the end of this.

"What is it? I look so good and handsome that you can't utter a word?" he smirked. You rolled your eyes as you hid your mouth behind kimono sleeve.

"You look different," you responded.

"Different how?" he inquired. It seemed he wouldn't just let it go. You mentally cursed.

"...In a good way," you looked away. He chuckled and ruffled your hair. You huffed. He knew that it irritated you to no end, but he still decided to irk you. You decided to smoother the material of his clothing. While you were busy adjusting the collar you felt his gaze on you. "But really, even the Shinsengumi is being westernized. I wonder how the cities would change now."

"If I live to see the changes, I'll take you wherever you'd want."

"What do you mean 'if you live to see'?" you frowned at him.

"I'm the Fury and we're heading to the battle," he sighed looking away. "There is not that much-! Ow!"

You interrupted him tugging his hair. You glared at him.

"Stop with the whining, Souji-san!" you chided and put your hands on your hips. "I don't want to hear about not having much time. You're alive, I'm alive. You'll live through the battle simply because I refuse otherwise."

"You're awfully selfish, you know that?" he looked at you with a hopeless expression. "I'm ready to die, ______."

"You're so ready to die... Then live. For me."

"Huh?"

"That's a challenge, Souji-san!" you said determined. You also didn't have much time left. But you knew something, he didn't. You knew how to became a human again. Stealing the notebook turned to be the best decision you made lately. But you were selfish, he was right. You didn't want to let him think for rest of his life that he is only a weapon. "Live with everything you got. To the last breath, live just for me. You have nothing to lose, you're stuck with me till the end."

He was staring at you, and you stared back. Suddenly he moved and yanked you to his chest. He squeezed you with much force that you were standing breathless. You felt his arms tremble around you.

"For most of my life I lived for Kondou-san..." he said into your hair. "I thought there wasn't anything left for me to live for..."

Okita made a pause and you didn't dare to say a word.

"_____," he said softly, but firmly. You head your breath as your heartbeat quickened even more. "I accept your challenge."

You clung onto his clothes as your eyes watered. You held back your tears and sighed as you nestled into his chest. His arms were strong and firm around you. It made you feel secure. You knew you could rely on him, but a thought of him going to a battle made you uneasy and nervous. You were going to stay in a tent away from the battle, probably helping to tend injured. You just hoped he was going to be alright. The thought that he was a Fury and had inhuman strength didn't really calm your worries. Into addition you felt horrible for not telling him about your condition.