17.

Hijikata's reply came after two weeks. You were preparing the supper when Yamazaki arrived with a message and a package.

"So, what does it say?" Okita asked.

"Supper first," you said placing a tray before the two males.

"Haah?"

"You're still not in a greatest health. You need to eat more," you said and sat before your tray.

"But the message..."

"Eat," you ordered. He closed his mouth and started eating. You felt gazes on you. "You too Yamazaki-san."

"______-san, I think the supper can wait."

"I said, you too Yamazaki-san."

"Y-yes..."

You smiled brightly at them.

"To shot down Yamazaki so fast!" Okita laughed eating your soup. Black-haired male only glared at him from above his bowl. You only rolled your eyes.

"You've changed, Okita," he mumbled.

"I don't see how," came the reply.

Rest of the supper went peacefully. When you were finished, Yamazaki finally told you about Hijikata's reply. To your surprise, the ninja let you stay in the room. You learned that the Shinsengumi no longer stayed in Kyoto, to you utter surprise. They moved to Fudodo Village. Now they were getting ready for a battle. Hijikata sent the location and new clothes.

Okita and Yamazaki further discussed things. You left the room to not interrupt and washed the dishes. After that you unpacked the box that contained new clothes. They were made of a fine material, that much you knew. They looked so different, no haoris or hakamas. It was western clothing you've never seen before. You even tried the yellow coat on yourself. Looking into the mirror you wondered if it was the right way to wear it. Whether you buttoned it up or left unbuttoned, you looked weird. You decided you looked ridiculous and quickly shoved it back to the box. Then you heard the laugh behind you.

"You have a thing for my clothes, don't you?"

"Of course I don't!" you hid behind kimono sleeve. You glanced at Okita. "H-how long have you been there?"

"Long enough," he grinned. You shook your head. You couldn't help but smile too. Seeing him in such high spirits made you happy. He held out a hand with a scissors. You blinked in question. "Cut my hair."

"Why?"

"Just do it."

You looked at him unsure but eventually nodded and took the scissors. You told him to sit down.

"It's a shame though," you said running hands through his hair. "I liked to style them."

"Poor you," he snorted and laughed. You combed his hair and proceeded with cutting the brown locks. You didn't have much experience with cutting hair, so you were quite worried how it would turn out. Surprisingly, to your annoyance, it turned out to be quite spiky. No matter how you tried to make them presentable they just wouldn't work with you. With a huff you decided to let them stay. But glared a little at the end.

"Turn around," you told him. You wanted to see how it looked from the front. You moved forwards to make a few adjustments. You smoothed them and cut a few stray strands. You smiled when your work was done.

Suddenly Okita moved forward while your hands still hung in the air. His face was right in front of yours and your heart skipped a beat. He held your hands and smiled. You didn't dare to move an inch.