19.

Yamazaki left you alone. You looked at your feet, conflicted.

You stumbled upon the sakura ornamented haori. You caressed the material with your hand. It still smelled with blood and had a gunshot hole. The bullet that pierced through the haori leaving an ugly tear. I really stood in the bullet's way, a thought crossed your mind. You frowned. You were obstacle back then. You shouldn't be there in the first place. Okita suffered because he shielded you from another shots. What if something similar would happened again? What if you were accidently hurt and somebody would suffer because of it? What if Okita would be in danger because of you again?

You took a shaky breath. Was it really good idea to go with Okita and Yamazaki to the battlefield? You couldn't fight and you didn't want to be in a way. Who knew what would to happen? Even if you were the Fury it didn't change a fact that people could get hurt because of your getting into somebody's feet.

Yamazaki's words struck you hard.

You wanted to go, but it didn't always meant that you should. With a heavy heart and made up mind you walked into the common room where Okita waited. He smiled at you.

"Souji-san," you started sitting before him. "I'm not going with you."

You looked into his eyes, your hands clenched in fists on your laps. You watched as his eyes widened, then he frowned with visible hurt. His face twisted in disappointment and he abruptly stood up.

"Good," he spat. He turned away from you. "Go wherever you want."

You gasped and stood up. You leaped through the room and embraced him from behind. You felt his muscles stiff when you squeezed him hard.

"I will wait for you. I wait till you come back to me!"

"What...? You said...-" he said after a while.

"I don't want to be a burden!" you felt him turning to face you. You clung onto his coat in return and put your head on his chest. You smiled weakly. "A battlefield is hardly a place for a woman. I... I said some brave things before, but to be honest I was a fool. I realized this recently."

"______..."

"I have no real skills with a sword, I don't know how to tend injuries beside simple scratches. I'd be useless. I would only worry everybody... And that's the last thing I'd want to do. That's why I'll stay here and wait for your return."

"You said it as if you were to leave," 'me' you heard unsaid word. You smiled and looked at him.

"At this point I'm not sure I could ever leave you."

Few moments passed between you.

"Ever?" he teased. You blinked. You slowly nodded. He smirked and your heart fluttered. He shoved you abruptly on the wall and caged you between his arms. He leaned closer. Blush crept onto your face as you felt his hot breath on your face.

"S-souji-san...?"

He lifted your chin and slammed his lips on yours. You whimpered when he roughly kissed you. A few heartbeats later you relaxed and sneaked your arms around his neck. You tiptoed to be closer to him and you felt him smile. He tugged on your bottom lip and you opened your eyes in surprise. He gently bit your lip and gazed at you through half-lidded eyes.

"You'd better not leave this house while I'm gone, or I'll kill you," he said, his voice low and a little hoarse. He brushed his hand against your cheek and moved away. You nodded, still flushed from the sudden kiss. "See ya."