Chapter 35. Mixed Feelings.

This chapter is dedicated to potato_in_sunset_ I really love your username btw :) Enjoy the chapter :D

Madara's POV.

''Keiji isn't here?'' Asami asked slightly surprised as took her jacket off right after she entered my house. ''I thought he told you to invite me?''

''Something came up.'' I muttered. ''Keiji also has personal problems. He never really talks to me about them though.''

''Shouldn't we help him?'' Asami asked. She looked quite worried. I shook my head as I walked to the kitchen. ''If he needs help, he'd ask for it.''

My words didn't completely seem to soothe Asami, but she didn't ask any further. She cared too much about others, even more than she cared about herself. It wasn't a bad thing, but she needed to realize that she couldn't help everybody all the time.

I sat down at the table, and Asami sat down on the opposite side. Keiji did prepare dinner before he got word of what happened at his own house. Keiji also had a family. Even though he mostly spent his time at my house, he did go home now and then. He barely had time though.

Asami and I ate in silence. We both neither knew what to say nor felt the need to say something. I finished already early, not having a big appetite, while Asami took her time.

Normally, Asami would smile or show another emotion, but now she was eating without a particular expression. She seemed deep in thoughts, which was unusual for her. I wasn't saying she never thought about things but she was so engrossed in thoughts that she kept staring at her food. Something seemed to bother her, and I had the feeling it got something to do with me.

Debating whether to let it be or ask, I grunted, getting annoyed with this. Asami almost always spoke her thoughts, even if it was a bit insulting or hurtful. Like she was being too honest, but now she wasn't saying anything. Was she afraid to tell me, or did she simply not want to?

Was I overthinking this? Why did I care so much anyway? If there actually was something that was truly troubling her she would say so. I shouldn't let this bother me instead.

Asami's POV.

This was the first time I felt this uncomfortable around Madara. Normally I would have something to say, but now I just didn't know what to talk about. After all that happened the last few days, I've grown a bit insecure. Madara was being secretive. Even though we made up, I was still uncertain. Didn't he trust me enough? Is that why he kept things from me? I knew he told me he would tell me in time, but that didn't make all my worries and questions vanish.

The silence between us was uncomfortable, and I began to feel uneasy. Madara seemed to be as calm as always though. I often wondered what he thinking about, but I was still unable to guess what was going on inside his head. I wasn't able to read him. He was, as always, unpredictable.

After all the time I spent with him, I still couldn't fully understand him. I felt bad about that.  He could still be a mystery to me sometimes, but I wanted to know, yet he wouldn't tell me. It wasn't fair, but I was able to wait. I didn't know what he was waiting for before he could tell me, but I guess I would also get to know that in time.

''Asami.''

Upon hearing him call my name, I was pulled out of my thoughts. Looking up to meet his dark eyes, I gave him an inquiring look. ''Yes?''

Madara stood up and walked around the table. The blank expression on his face seemed piercing and also a bit intimidating. I didn't know if he meant to look like that, but at the moment it didn't make me feel at ease. This feeling. Was I afraid? Of Madara?

When he reached me, he just stood there, looking down on me. It looked like he was hesitating about what he wanted to do or say, and I was surprised to see him falter like this. Madara always chose his words wisely and knew what to say when he would say something. Eventually, Madara grunted and clenched his fists. ''Nevermind.''

Madara's POV.

I turned around. For a moment, I was planning to tell her everything. I could trust Asami, but there were still some hindrances, my plans were not completed yet and there would be some changes here and there. Telling her now would only hurt her anyway.

I began to walk back to my place at the table, but before I could take a second step. a pair of arms stopped me from doing so. Asami had stood up and was now behind me, her arms wrapped around my waist.

''Is there something?'' I asked.

Asami pressed her cheek against my back. ''Nothing in particular.'' She whispered. ''I just wish to stay like this a little bit longer.''

I sighed and grabbed one of her slim arms and unwrapped it from my waist. Still holding a firm grip, I pulled her forward so she came into my sight. Almost stumbling, she stood now in front of me. She was acting a bit weird. First the silence and now this affection.

''What is wrong?'' I asked.

Asami didn't answer me and hissed slightly when I held her arm tighter. ''Do I need to repeat myself or did you hear me?'' I grunted, getting slowly annoyed.

Asami whimpered and tried to free herself, unsuccessfully. ''W-What makes you think something is wrong?''

''The way you behave.'' I answered while narrowing my eyes.

Asami's eyes squinted into a glare. ''Then doesn't the same go for you?'' she asked. ''It's not like you're your usual self either. You must understand how I feel after the sudden change in your behaviour.''

I loosened my hand and Asami quickly retreated her arm. I hated to admit it, but she was right. Of course she couldn't keep smiling like she would when she was around me. She knew something was going on and she wanted to know what because she was worried. I understood that, but now wasn't the right time.

I also couldn't believe that Asami was still at my side. After all the things I made her go through, like having small fights with Tobirama and getting nasty looks from villagers. She would slowly become like me; despised and distrusted.

''Madara?''

Asami snapped me out of my thoughts, and I looked down at her. Mixed feelings were shown in her eyes as she raised her hand, slowly bringing it to my face. Her smooth fingertips touched my cheek. ''Just so you know,'' she muttered. ''I'm always here for you, so when you need me..''

I placed my hand on top of her head. ''I know.''

................

I'm going to stop here since it's around midnight here and I have school tomorrow :'( It's not very long (again) but I really worked very long on this chapter. I think I already promised this but I'll promise it again; next one will be longer :)