Epilogue 2. Broken Promise?

Third Person.

He should have seen it coming, but he hadn't. It was a repetitious incident, it happened all the time, yet he still wasn't used to it. It hurt, sometimes a bit and other times a lot more, but right now, the pain was crushing him. He felt betrayed.

Not by the person in front of him, not by anything or anyone in particular. It was unsubstantial.

It happened over and over. It took a lot of things of him, some more important than others, and he wasn't able to do anything about it. He cursed it.

He cursed fate.

What else was he supposed to blame? There was no other explanation, no other option. He didn't do it himself, and they also didn't do it themselves.

He didn't kill them, and they didn't kill themselves. Even though he tried so hard to protect them, their lives were still taken from them. It was unfair, but it also made something clear.

He was fated to live in solitude.

All the people he confided in would either leave him, betray him or die. And the situation at that exact moment was no different. Even though he was surrounded by a lot of people, he was alone. He didn't mind, on the contrary, he preferred to be alone. But when that loneliness was replaced by the company of a nosy girl, his preferences had changed a bit.

A lot happened, and he ended up involving that girl in this plans, and now he had to pay for it. Or rather, she had to pay for it.

With her life.

It was like a curse. All the people who got involved with him would end up hating him, getting hurt or worse. All of his brothers died in the war, the members of his clan turned their backs to him, and now she was killed as well, along with their son.

Their house was ransacked, and the burglars probably thought that they were in the way, and thus got rid of them. There was nothing expensive or anything special to find at their home, but it was an easy target. Just a woman with a child in a house that was totally isolated from the village. No rogue would think twice about breaking in.

Asami had fought back, Madara could see that. One of the attackers was lying on the ground, lifeless, just like the other two bodies. He moved his gaze from the man to the younger boy. His black eyes were wide open, and even though they were dull and expressionless, Madara knew what he felt during his last moments.

It was fear.

Of course, the boy would have been terrified if their house was attacked, men with weapons forcing themselves into their home, wrecking anything while trying, and succeeding in killing his mother and him himself.

Madara placed his gloved hand on his eyes, and closed them. He never thought that the first time he'd see his own child would be the last time. He didn't really look like his father, but he did inherit most of the Uchiha features. It was actually pretty odd to think that the boy was his son. Madara had never seen him before.

He didn't even know his name.

He looked for a few more seconds at the boy, before he turned his face to look at the woman who was lying next to the boy. Her red hair spread over the floor, matching the color of the blood that had flowed over the floor and dried up. It had become longer again, but it was still shorter than how it was before she cut it. Her eyes were closed and her lips were parted, purple and dry. The blood that had left her mouth, and ran down her cheek, had now dried up. Her clothes were also covered in the red substance.

While Madara couldn't see how the boy was murdered, it was obvious how Asami's life was taken from her. The knife was still in her chest, a small part of the blade still visible. Madara clenched his fists. He was used to gory sights, this still made him feel sick.