Chapter Six

Hey guys. I'll make this one short. Sorry it took so long to get this one up. I've been super busy this weekend helping out my family with stuff, and then when I got onto the computer I just couldn't think of what to write. The lyrics for this chapter were hard to choose, but I think I've got it.

Anyway, enjoy the chapter. Comments equals cookies and faster updates, and let me know if you have problems with anything written. I don't think there is anything really overly bad with this chapter, it's more of a filler I think, but meh.

Enjoy. ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you with me after all

Why can't I hear you
Are you with me through it all
Then why can't I feel you
Stay with me, don't let me go
Because there's nothing left at all
Stay with me, don't let me go
Until the Ashes of Eden fall

~Ashes Of Eden (Breaking Benjamin)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The missing documents."

Silence stretched out between them, and Edward thought he might just die of the tension. Of the fear of how Maes would react to him having vital information all along, and not handing it in. His heart pounded in his head, and his hands trembled. He raised his head, searching Maes' face, trying to read his emotions. But Edward could not tell how the man was feeling, he just didn't know. He just wished Maes would say something already, and spare him this fear. But first he wanted him to read what they said, and to not judge him until then.

"Just...just read them..." He said at last. "Please." Without saying anything, Maes nodded, looking down to read the first page. Instantly his eyes narrowed, and he opened his mouth to say something when Edward cut in. "Don't say anything, not until you've read all of it." Maes nodded again, returning his gaze to the files before him. Slowly, his eyes scanned the page, then moved it to the back and began to read the second page. Time seemed to have frozen for Ed, or, at the very least, slowed down. By the third page, Maes' own hands had begun to shake as well, and his bottom lip was trembling. When he started on the fourth page, Edward's legs couldn't take the suspense any more, and he dropped to his bottom, leaning against the wall. He curled up into a ball and put his head on his knees, inhaling slowly.

Finally, presumably when he had finished reading, Maes said. "Oh Edward..." He dropped to his knees beside him and wrapped his arms around Ed, who by now had begun to shake furiously. Now that Hughes knew...what would happen? How would he think of him now? His secret was out, and Hughes could tell it to anybody. His mind traveled back to the lab, to when he had finally caved in to the man who always asked him how he felt after a Transmutation, and he had finally admitted that it felt like being ripped apart from the inside out. The man had petted his head like a dog and said that he'd be glad he had told him how he felt, and then the Circle had been adjusted so that he could deal with the pain easier. Would it be like that? Would the pain lessen now that he'd given away his secret? "It'll be okay."

"How can it be okay?" Edward asked, raising his head to look at the older man. His face looked blurry, and Edward realized it was because his eyes were filled with tears. Hastily he wiped them away, furious at himself. "How can it ever be okay..." He whispered, "Now that I'm this?"

"Because I'm going to help you." He answered.

"I don't need help." Edward said stubbornly, lying to both Maes and himself.