Chapter Four - Rumours.

Helga got on the bus in the morning in a decent mood. After she payed her fee, she walked down the bus and spoted Phoebe smiling. But her gaze turned to Arnold who sitting staring out the window on his own. She wanted to sit next to him but she knew he usually sits next to Gerald.

She walked past him slowly and smiled while saying "What's up Foot-I mean, Arnold?" He turned and smiled "Hi Helga! You want to sit?" As he moved his bag and patted his hand on the seat. Helga stops and thinks "Arnold is inviting me to sit next to him!" But she gazes at Phoebe who was confused. She stuttered "Sure Arnold!" As she took the seat.

Gerald got on the bus and felt shocked when he spotted Arnold talking and sitting next to HELGA G PATAKI! He walked past them slightly creeped out. He spotted Phoebe sitting alone and took the seat next to her. They smiled before taking their glance back to Arnold and Helga laughing.

At school, Arnold was at Helga's locker telling her something not noticing the glances and confused faces by everyone else including Gerald and Phoebe. Arnold went to Helga "Can I walk to to class?" Helga wasted no time in saying "Uh Huh"

When they both walked away, everyone muttered to eachother confused. Nadine says "Since when did Arnold and Helga become so friendly?" Sid agrees "Yeah, I mean, doesn't Helga hate Arnold?" They all question each other before Rhonda shuts her locker and sighs "Well, Arnold did my "MatchMaker" test yesterday and his match was Helga! Though he seemed disgusted at the result! I guess he had a, you could say, change of heart!"

Everyone gasped. "What the heck does that mean?" Stinky said while scratching his head. Nadine rolled her eyes "It obviously means Arnold and Helga are dating!" Everyone muttered in shock

"Arnold and Helga?!"

"I can't believe they'd actually be dating!"

"I thought Arnold liked someone else"

But  Lila smiled and said "I actually think it's oh so cute!" Lila knew about Helga's crush on Arnold since Helga confessed to her  so Helga could play Juilet in their play just so she could kiss Arnold.

Gerald blinked back in disbelief. Arnold and Helga? It couldn't be! He had to find out. He sneaked off from the crowd and ran down the hallways.

Stinky turned to Sid "Hey Sid! If Arnold and Helga are dating after Rhonda's "MatchMaker" confirmed it, then you and Big Patty will be dating soon!" Stinky and Iggy laugh while Sid bares his teeth "No I won't! I will never go near her never mind date her!" Just then, Big Patty walked down the hall so Sid screeched and ran away. Harold starred at Big Patty with sad eyes. Iggy noticed "Gee Harold, why so down?" Harold shook his head and shouted "N-Nothing! Why? Don't question me or I'll pound you!!" Before stomping down the hallway leaving a confused Iggy.

Gerald finally caught up and saw Arnold and Helga about to go into class. He ran up and grabbed Arnold's arm taking Arnold by surprise. Gerald panted "Ar-Ar-Arnold? Hm-Buddy? Can I have a quick word?" But before Arnold could answer. He dragged Arnold into the janitor's closet and slammed the door.

Helga looked around before dashing to the back of the vending machines. She smiled while taking her locket out and gasping "Oh Arnold! At last my plan is working! Soon you will see me for my mushy, good-girl sensitive side and dare I say fall for me the way I have fallen for you! Oh!" She gasped leaning back in the back of the wall until she heard that familiar breathing - Brainy. He was just starring at her, smiling and breathing heavily in his usual creepy way. Helga though was too happy and instead of pounding him. She simply patted his head and left. Brainy blushes as he stroked his head while Helga went into class.

Meanwhile, Arnold was sat upon an old desk while Gerald was pacing up and down. Arnold crossed his arms "Gerald? Will you please tell me what's going on?"

Gerald had a stern look on his face "Look Arnold, there's some strange rumours going around about you"

"But why?"

"Because you are spending all your time following around HELGA G PATAKI! The way you usually act around Lila! I thought you liked liked Lila!"

"I do though! And about Helga, she started acting nice to me yesterday and not calling me 'Football Head' and asked to be friends. I made sure it was a trick and she promised"

"Ok but I am going to ask you something and you have to tell the truth buddy. I'm your best friend"

"What?"

"Arnold...Is Helga...your girlfriend?"

"What!? No way!"

"And you don't like her like her?"

"I swear Gerald!"

Arnold jumped off and made his way back to the class slightly annoyed with Gerald. Gerald shook his head and shrugged while muttering "Whatever you say..."