Chapter Six - Like You Like You or just Like You?

Arnold and Helga were both laughing at the table in the Ice Cream Parlour. Helga then confessed "To be honest Arnold, I did think you were going to blow me off when Lila asked you to go round to her house after school. I mean, I know how much you like her"

Arnold replies "No Helga, I asked if you wanted to come here with me as a start of our new friendship"

"Yeah, a great friendship!" as she giggled nervously.

The waitress then came and gave them a chocolate fudge sundae to share and they tucked right into the gooey chocolate ice cream.

After, Helga says "Gee, Arnold. Even though we shared that, it was a lot of Ice Cream!"

Arnold chuckled "I know, I don't think I can eat for at least a week!"

They both laugh before Helga smiled sweetly and says "I've had a really great time with you these past two days, Arnold!"

Arnold replies "Me too Helga! You are like one of my greatest friends and I am so glad we started over"

Helga looked at Arnold who was smiling. They looked into each other's eyes deeply and Helga heard a voice inside her head "What are you waiting for girl? Do it! Can't you see? That's a sign for you to...C'mon, Helga!" She smiled and leaned forward slightly.

But Arnold blinked and moved back slightly which gave Helga a shock. Arnold then rubbed the back of his neck and says "Wait Helga. Were you about to...y'know..."

Helga gulped and rubbed her arm but giggled nervously trying to keep her cool "What? Oh Arnold! Your so funny! Of...of course I wasn't going to..."

Arnold felt slightly guilty and laid it down to Helga "Because I really like you Helga...But...I don't like you like you"

Helga blinked back. She was extremely hurt. She couldn't believe her secret beloved had crushed her just by that one small and heart punching sentence "I don't like you like you"

She couldn't keep her cool any longer, she was too hurt. She finally lost it as she says to him offended "So what? I don't like you like you either!"

Arnold reliesed Helga was offended and tried to calm her down "No, I...I just thought you did because you...but...I really like you as a friend and-"

"But even if I did, why would you hurt me like that after all Rhondas stupid "MatchMaker" app confirmed it!"

"How did you know about that? Only me, Rhonda and Gerald saw the result unless..." He then gasped and frowned at Helga "Wait! Were you eavesdropping?"

Helga was shocked "What!?"

"You did didn't you?!"

"Well, it's all your fault football head for leading me on!"

"Leading you on?! How?! I thought we were friends and thought you said you didn't like me like me?"

"I don't!" And she stomped out the door leaving an angry Arnold. He then got up and left too. Both were angry with each other as they walked home alone in the pouring rain.

Arnold stopped and stared through a shop window and sighed as he said to himself "Maybe I was a little harsh on her. I didn't mean to be mean and I still want to be friends but I just don't know what's up with her. Why is she weird around me?"

Meanwhile, Helga walked alone and slow but she stopped to shelter under a shade for a shop for a while and she glanced at a puddle before talking to herself "Oh what have I done! I finally get to be close to him at last! And now I ruined it! Why did I have to? Now my plan has failed and he will never talk to me again!"

She sighed before frowning "But what did I do? He is the one that hurt me! Those cruel words he said! They shall never leave my mind!"

She reached into her pocket and picked up her locket. As she gazed into his photo, she frowned. She took the picture out and scrunched it into a ball. She was going to throw it into the bin, but something was stopping her so she instead stuffed it into her pocket before walking home.