Chapter Eleven

Gerard's POV

~~~

'What the fuck is wrong with you? You haven't answered any of my calls for nearly a month and now it's all 'hey Chels'? You've got some fucking nerve. Are you planning on fucking around with someone else?'

I mentally cringed just listening to the sound of her voice through the phone. Although Chelsea's apathy was legendary so was her temper and it sounded like she'd been letting it build up for a long time just so she could direct it all at me. Then again I really should have seen this coming.
It should have also occurred to me I was dating the sort of madwoman who was very capable of homicide if she'd ever found out I'd been with Lainey. None of these things had occurred to me last night, it had been too long since I'd last had a drink and my tolerance had been low and well, it'd been a long time since I'd seen Lainey and my tolerance was low.

"No, I'm not doing anything. I'm just hanging out, I was thinking about getting some dinner with Mikey tonight." Turning my phones speaker onto a slightly lower volume I braced myself for Chelsea's anger. She had a short fuse that I seemed to be particularly adapt in lighting these days which wasn't fun when she now had my phone number, address and title as my girlfriend.

'You've been freaking scaring me, Gee. I've hardly seen you while I've been on tour and they've had you too busy to call me, it's not good for my heart. I miss you and I swear it's driving me crazy.' I felt almost suspicious when her reply wasn't garbled screaming like usual, she didn't typically forgive me this quickly and she didn't need to swear she was being driven crazy, it was obvious from the way she'd reacted when I answered the phone. 'You went to one of those good places right? Some of the joints in San Diego really suck, will you be leaving soon? I want to come see you as soon as tour's over.'

"Yeah, no I'm going fine. I'll be out of rehab soon, I've found a pretty good place out here too."  By this point of the conversation I felt a little like I was throwing meat to a lion to make sure it didn't attack me but at the same time I knew I was being an idiot for telling her. I'd been planning on breaking up with Chelsea, she was unhealthy and not Lainey's sort, the start you on coke kinda unhealthy. She was find out you were on coke and move you to heroin. Yet she was still able to survive all her relationships physically and emotionally intact. "I know you'll love it, plenty of space for your bass guitars."

Trying to have something useful waiting to distract Sunny as soon as she woke up I turned in the television and went into the kitchen, so I wouldn't have to handle waking her up and Chelsea at the same time and turning on the coffee pot before holding the phone between my ear and shoulder. Lainey's kitchen wasn't particularly complicated it was just somewhat stressful to know the seventeen girl I'd met and fallen in love with four years ago was now living properly like this.

Lainey had done impressively well for herself.

'Gee, did you hear what I said?' Chelsea's asked on the other end of the phone and I was forced to pull my thoughts away from Lainey and focus on her.

"Sorry, I didn't. I got distracted, what were you saying?" I sighed and leaned against the kitchen bench.

'You won the best song of the year last night! That's impressive, zero to song of the year in four years. Are you feeling proud of yourself?' It had been a surprise, the band and I had been pretty adamant that we weren't going to win the award but I guess the fanbase was bigger and stronger than we'd ever guessed before.

"Yeah, everyone was really surprised we managed to pull it off, and you got best album cover. I guess that tape idea really paid off huh?" I'd been there for the photoshoot, originally she was wearing lingerie but once she'd done some research on past album winners - which mainly revolved around amazing artwork - she'd decided she wanted to win it with nothing more than a photo. That's when the tape idea came into play. So she basically had two tiny pieces of black tape over her nipples and some arranged artistically over everything else. The guy who was helping her set it up had a lot of fun.